Connecting two computers with a RJ45 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle

Beta member
Dear all,

We are working with the proffesional XP. Is it possible to connect two computers (both with prof XP) with a RJ45 cable?

If yes is there any documentation on the internet or can someone tell us?

Nice regards,

Michelle.

As long as both machines contain an NIC with an RJ45 connection, yes.

If both machines are used to access the internet and both computers need it, a router is necessary to split a single IP address into two internal addresses... though there is software out there which can do almost the same thing.

For multiple machines, additional hardware (e.g. routers, hubs, etc.) may be needed.

Hello GeForce,

Thanks for your information.
On our computers we do have network cards with a RJ45 connection. We only use the connection between the pc's to share harddisks and a printer. Is there any information on the internet how to configure. Maybe you can advise a book (isbn number).

Nice regards,

Michelle.

You need to get a CROSSOVER cable a standard cat 5 cable will not work. Crossover cable are available at almost any PC store ,Best buy, or Radio shack.
After you get the Crossover cable you just need to go into your Network properties and turn off the already useless firewall and then it helps to manually assign IP addresses.
If you need anymore help let me know

Hello huck326,

I do have the right crossover cable.
The only thing is how to configure the two computers!

Nice regards,

Michelle.

Just go into my network places, click on view connections, right click your network card and click on properties, then double click tcp/ip. Check Use the following ip address, for ip address use 10.0.0.1, subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 default,. On the seoncd pc set the ip address to 10.0.0.2, subnet mask of of 255.0.0.0 and the gateway to 10.0.0.1. That should let you talk back and forth, if not set the first pc's gateway to 10.0.0.2, I don't think you'll need to to just talk back and forth but you might, I've never shared a printer over a crossover cable myself, just the internet, hehe.

many thanks qball!

You made it so simple, quick config of TCP/IP and it worked a treat, i can see the computer names across the connection, access sql server, everything.

Rarely is something techy like this made so simple, thankyou qball, much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom