Concerns about Kingston memory modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonEdge

Baseband Member
i've got a value 512 PC3200 CAS 3 memory module and having trouble overclocking...
1)
why is the default vdimm for my module 2.6 as stated in the bios and the pdf from kingston?? i thought that 2.5 was standard
2)
they don't work @ 333 6-2-2-2 or 7-2-2-2 or even 8-2-2-2.5 while i got 2 other not-so-famous memory modules which are sold as PC 2700 @ 2.5 (GBTech...got them somewhere from canada) which can do 6-2-2-2 @333 @2.6 VDimm in Dual Channel and can do an amazing job of 440 @ 8-3-3-2.5... i thought kingston have good ram modules...
3)not so much related to kingston ;) why is my hdd score in pcmark2002 when @ 2500+,333 '1110Points' while in my overclocked system 3200+,400 it is only '620 'points' ??? both tests done correctly as far as i am concerned....and yes @ both times the hdd was working DMA 5 the fast it can do

Kingston valueRAM memory modules especially aren't that great for overclocking. They don't have a good PCB design or even IC's for that matter.

You can't push those tighter than 3-3-3-8 with the exception of perhaps running 2.5-3-3-7 maybe but, those end numbers effect stability not so much bandwidth so theres no point in changing em.

If you look at the SPD table via CPU-Z kingston is rated as follows:

PC3200: 3-3-3-8
PC2700: 2.5-3-3-7
PC2100: 2-2-2-5

They really aren't all that maleable ya know? I got a Value stick, 512mb of kingston, and it really wasn't a superb performer.

As far as that GBTech or whatever, I'd sure like to see some screens of it going from 166 up to 220, that is indeed an insane overclock for that. Must have a good PCB design and some BH-5 IC's or something like that in which it'd be very possible for those to do that.

Also, instead of typing 2500+, just give me what your actual clock speed is, although in this situation I don't see at all why your HD score would be effected....CPU or RAM really has nothing to do with data transfer which is what that thing is testing so that's just odd really.

Well i took a screenshot of it..had to reflash the bios for it to work..
of course it wasn't running sync because my 2500(@1833!!) ;) and my fsb can't make it through 202mhz so the memory score was typically low and i had to reduce the memory settings..9-4-4-2.5 instead of 8-3-3-2.5 though i am sure i can force it to use the latter if only i had enough time..
Now for the other matters:
here the value ones (512mb /PC3200 CAS 3) go for ~120$ and the hyperx ones (1 gig/PC3200 CAS2)for around 358$ if these prices are the same like in the united states and europe, then i am going for a hyperx...otherwise they are just robbing us here :)
as for the hdd , am gonna reply when i come back home coz i got no time right now :confused:

can't zip the file enough to be less than 55kb even in gif format :(
maybe i send it it later :/

well I don't know what the price conversion is.

It's like the valueRAM is:

$65 - 512mb so it'd be $130 for 1gb of ValueRAM

And the HyperX 1gb kit is $200

it depends on whether or not you really need high performance.

If you plan on overclocking there are MUCH better companies than kingston such as:

G.Skill
Patriot
PQI

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=53

Go there and you can read about how the PCB and IC's on RAM will determine better overclocks.

Whew, must be taxes and/or shipping or something.

It's $200 at newegg, but yeah I know that doesn't matter since you don't live in the US =/

Well i read that review you mentioned..and hell it changes my whole view of memory manufacturers... :)
I always thought that Corsair is the best ram ever..
but from now on it will be OCZ which i doubtfully will find in egypt
would you please tell me any online retailer you know of, who is just as good as newegg but ships internationally with minimal shipping cost?

I have no clue man as far as who'd ship internationally and whatnot muchless good costs for it =/

There's a lot of people from the UK here that if they'd see this thread could probably tell you.

Ever look at www.tigerdirect.com

I've heard of people in the UK using them, but I don't know much about em

Thanks man.
btw you truely deserve the moderator status due to your fast responses and always online status :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom