GeForce 5200 Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp9876

Solid State Member
I've just replaced my Geforce 2MMX AGP with a Geforce 5200 AGP and now find the computer is behaving strangley.

The screen often freezes for a few seconds and flickers.

My computer is an Athlon XP 1.4 512MB.

Would the Geforce be incompatible with my system or could there be some other cause?

Any suggestions most appreciated.

JP

What OS are you using?

Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed?

Has this been happening since you installed it or over time?

I'm running Windows XP Professional and installed the latest Nvidia drivers from the web (not the ones that came with the AGP.

The erratic behaviour, which includes distorted cursors, has occured from the time I installed it.

Jen

Re-install your old Geforce card and if the problem goes away then it would be a defective Geforce 5200 board since this problem initially started when you installed the new Geforce board.

GeForce FX5200's have been known for some glitchy problems. I would suggest getting a different card actualy. ATI or a GeForce FX5600 is you can afford it or a Good GeForce4ti. THe FX5200 is crap really. Look at the BenchMarks.

What is your motherboard manufacturer and model?

There would be a chance that you may have to reinstall any AGP miniport drivers.

I reinstalled the original Geforce 2 without a hitch.

How do I find out details the motherboard details (manufacturer and model)?

And what are AGP mini-port drivers?

Jen

Also, what is the easiest way of verifying the manufactuer of the card?

It's supposed to be a Palit Daytona but would like to check this if I could.

Many thanks guys,
Jen

Here's a thought.. What is the wattage on your Power Supply.. The new FX boards (like the new radeons) are all known for being power hungry.. It could very well be a power supply issue..

Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom