Psu Failure! Eeek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser

Baseband Member
Last summer some time, not really sure when, I was experiencing random restarts from my computer. I didnt really think much of it other than perhaps i had a bug or spyware had just over run my computer. So I reformatted and never gave it any thought ever again, Alright, so over the past month or so my computer started acting strange again. It really started when I installed HL2. HL2 worked for a little while, then after a few days of gameplay, it started locking up. It eventually got so bad that I couldnt even load the game. I reinstalled it and it did the same thing, not only was it just HL2, but source also wouldnt load. So I figured i would just reformat someday and that would take care of it. But not long after that, Winamp started to crash my computer, it would play a song for maybe 5 minutes, then totally lock my computer up which lead to a restart. As of the past week or so, my computer completely has gone haywire, sometimes it doesnt even get done loading up after a restart, and it freezes which means i have to restart again, this cycle can go on sometimes for 20 minutes. So earlier in the evening tonight i finally decided to reformat, no go. I dont even get past the copying files screen and it locks up. I've been reading lately that PSU failure can cause systems to act like this.

So my question at hand is, from the symptoms i have listed, does this sound at all like a PSU failure, or is it something much different? I would really like any help on this subject as I dont want to just go unload $70 into a PSU for no good cause.

The PSU itself is not hot to the touch, and yes, the interior fan for it still works.

Please help. Kthx

Does indeed sound like the PSU acting up, buuuut just to make sure it's not something like your RAM being shot, although I really doubt it, you should download and run Memtest86+

If it gives you errors then your RAM could be the cause of the problem here, but like I said it really does sound like your PSU is dying/dead

Like Apok said, what brand, wattage, and if you could look on the side and give us your +12v, +5v, and +3.3v rating that'd be helpful too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom