First AMD build in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Gonna build an AMD computer for a friend. I have no clue about AMD or what mobos are good for them. But I do know the basic junk like HD, gfx, ram, and the like. This person will do maybe half-and-half (50% gaming [prolly heavy], 50% apps). I dunno if the CPU I chose is too much or what. I am not sure what the budget is, but I'd like to keep it under $1000. Just bear with me. Here goes:

CPU - AMD 64 3000+ 512kb L2 cache

MOBO - Abit KV8 Pro

RAM - Corsair 1Gig PC3200

GFX - ATI 9800 Pro 256MB

HD - Western Digital 200GB 8MB buffer 7200RPM

DRIVE - Sony DVD+/-RW

OS - Windows XP Home

After I looked at the specifications, I noticed that the gfx may not be the best. Remember, I am unsure if the CPU or the Mobo are the best for this; my first AMD build.:confused:

EDIT: I will look for the case. And the person already has a sound card.

Regulus, i recommend a socket 939 for all AMD64. Socket 939 all have dual channel memory, and run at the same frequency as socket 754, but remains at cooler temps while running faster. Witch is ideal for OC. If your gonna think about socket 754, then you should get a 3400. If not then get a 939 mobo.

Nice start

I would change the 9800 Pro to a 6600GT AGP
I would go with an Asus A8V, that's me speaking though, it's an opinion
Hard drive isnt too big :p ( I got same HD, it kicks @$$)
CPU is good

I would drop half the memory to save money though

Mobo is fine, ABit is better than ASUS IMO, although some people do swear by ASUS, but they have horrible tech support and quality has gone down in the last few years.

If you choose Socket 754 and choose to go the overclocking route the 3400+ 64 Mobiles are supposed to be some of the best overclockers much like the mobile XP-M's

Lol, Nubius. You are one of the reasons I decided on an Abit.
-This person will not be overclocking.
-I dunno why the big HD, but I'm not gonna complain.
-I would rather stick to a 9800Pro, unless you can suggest a better one.
-I will look for a socket 939 CPU and a Mobo.

Thanks for the help so far, anyone else?

P.S: It is 939 right? Not 949?:confused: Blah, this is confusing! lol

The 6600GT is better than the 9800 Pro and thats why i suggested it. The 9800 Pro was greatfor it's time though

Right, but if you can find one (a good one) on Newegg for a good price, then I'll take a look. Otherwise, I am sticking with a 9800Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom