opinions on build...be gentle

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want to do things like Auto_Cad I'd suggest sticking with the Intel if you want more application use opposed to games here.

Also the suggestion ak is giving you requires overclocking to get the performance which would require a nice bit of learning.

So if they just want a good computer for the Auto_Cad and minimal gaming, what he/she's got will do fine.

Ak,

thanks for the great posts, I was not really shooting for the overclocking route, but I will consider it if it makes for a good system in my budget.

I would like to do some gaming, but mostly apps like excell solidworks modeling

I guess it comes down to the numbers on performance Vs. price

you spec a hell of a system,...it took me for ever to put togeather mine

ok, just suggestions :).
I figured somone was going to say somthin about stickin w/ pentium for regular apps and such. I was just showing that you could get close to that performance with an AMD for a lil cheaper, and in games it would be great.
If you like modeling, Pentium works great especially if you dont want to overclock. Either way would probably get the same results. It all comes down to price for me. If the pentium fits in your budget go for it.
Few suggestions then :), if your going to go with those previous specs you had in the beginning:
-try to get the SATA hard drive (the MB you have will support that)
-some thermal paste (always good to have)
-you still need a heatsink/fan for the pentium processor; this should work nice: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-032&depa=1
-for a cheap video card (i have this one), the 9600se is just a dumbed down version of the XT, and the price shows. It still plays any game, and for modeling it should fit perfect (I was dumb enought to spend 120 on this at fred meyers): http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-325&depa=1
-dont forget the floppy drive and cd drive

hope this helps

i havent really read above but if ican say one thing, go for a lower HD.. 120's have good prices, but for some reason with 160+ they jack the prices up, more than the cost of a 40

Thank you to everyone ak especially

A great help

here is my final config I am going to order later

CASE SCASE|PC-115 7C574-115 350W RT (Qty=1,Price=$24.00)
MB VIA PT880 ASROCK P4V88 RAID RTL (Qty=1,Price=$45.00)
DVD+/-RW 16x+|NECND-3520A BG (Qty=1,Price=$61.99)
VGA|MSI RX9550-TD256 RT (Qty=1,Price=$82.00)
CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT (Qty=1,Price=$181.00)
DDRAM512MB CORSAR64X64 VS512MB400 R (Qty=1,Price=$68.00)
*HD 120GB|HITC 7200R 8MB #14R9202 % (Qty=1,Price=$77.00)

Subtotal:$538.99

I already have a 17" flat screen LCD, keybord, mouse, 52x CDrw drive, and speakers

If you look, some sugessions from a few of you

It may not be the best of the best, but for an even $611 with shipping and tax, I could not buy a better deal in the stores or even at Dell (who never cease to amaze me).

This experience has gotten me interested in overclocking...not for this system, but in moding my old computer with a cheap MOBO and Processor to see what I could get out of it. (ak you sugessions are not lost yet)

I hope this post helps others looking to build like me
I will do a post build update

Thanks everybody

heh np, thats what were here for, as everyone did the same for me when i started. If you check the top of the overclocking section, there is a useful guide to help you along the way.
Have fun with the build and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom