Desktop not talking to ethernet card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherno77

Beta member
Hello: First I need to give you some substance.

Before I moved into my new house 2 1/2 years ago, my computer crashed in a lightning storm. I called this company out of Pennsauken, NJ to come try and fix it (AIS). They ended up not being able to, but recovered my files and sold me a new computer an (AIS) computer. On it had XP Professional . . and it must have been bogus. I got no key code and could never download any patches, etc. The company doesn't exist anymore.

Just today, My desktop computer was suddenly unable to connect to the internet. However, my router is working and my laptop gets internet. But, if I plug my cable modem directly to my desktop, I cannot get internet. I tried to config and release under run . . . and I had an IP address show up, etc.

I tried config and renew on the desktop and I got nothing. My computer just is not talking to my Ethernet card, I guess. There isn't even a light when I plug my chord into the internet outlet on the desktop.

My friend thinks I need to get a new version of XP (I bought a HOME (not professional) version today . .but haven't opened it).

Will installing a new Windows version get my connection back? I know I should install a legit version anyway . . but backing up all those files (and email) can be painful . . . and I think I would lose my music match and dreamweaver and other downloaded programs . . some of which CDs I lost.

What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom