WTF? new mobo , XP reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakvillePcz

Solid State Member
Ok I just got new hardware for my personal system, Asus A7n8x-e deluxe, amd athlon 2500+ Barton mobile , radeon 9600 pro , kingston (256x2) Pc3200. install it with my hard drive from this system and it POST's fine says booting from OS, i get as far as the lil white progress bar before XP boots and BAM, the syetm reboots . I cant even get to the XP spash screen.

So I ran the Xp install disk, went to system recovery. I did a full chkdsk /r as well as fixmbr and bootcfg, still nothing. I'm bout to lose my damn mind with this. only thing else i could think of was not enough power, so I disconnected the cd and the dvd burners, still nothing.....

I'm at a loss here any suggestions aside from chuckin this out my window?

i second that.
the reason it restarts may have to do with the boot loader (boot.ini) the path is not the same in the new computer.

yeh i kinda figured but i was trying not to spend days backing up all of my movies/mp3/pic files. That was my next plan of action anyway. ughhh OS reinstalls suck guess I have to do it, going from an amd 850 to this new system. Thanks for the info

thats why you should have 2 partitions ;)
you can try putting the hard drive on another ide.
i would at least reinstall windows(without a format).it will just reinstall the windows files.

i have my drive partitioned as 3 drives , problem is they're all about full.i'm gonna see what i can move and what i can get rid of and see If I can get windows to install on C: without losing all my files . thanks for the suggestion BTV, never even thought about it

FWIW, the OS reinstall did the trick. yeh only 6 cd's and 2 dvds worth of backup files to create first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom