Bootup time

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
I have a win98 se machine and I was wondering what things I could shut off (untick) when I type msconfig- startup tab that won't hurt my computer. Any help is appreciated.

TIA.

Anything that you don't need. Like if quick time is there, and your not using it, delete it from the startup. Only essential programs like antivirus needs to be there.

Here what I have checked off:

Desktop Weather 3
SP TimeSync
Scan registry
Load profile
System tray
Em_exec
CPQInet
cpqns
mswspl
tkbellexec
a-winpoet-service
Zone labs client
ashmaisv
Load power profile
isdbdc
dkservice
avast
truesector
microsoft office startup
mailwasher
spywareguard

What don't I need?

Zone labs client
avast
ashmaisv

That's all you need. You also need to run spybot search and destroy, and adaware se personal to clean some more up. But those are what you need.

Can someone please be more specific on what I don't need to check off from the list provided above.

TIA

What else do you need to know? I told you what you needed. Do you want an explanation for what each process is that you have posted and why you don't need it?

Desktop Weather 3 - Tells you what the weather is going to be
SP TimeSync - Synchrozies your computers clock
Scan registry - Scans registry
Load profile - Windows based
System tray - Sometime of software for your system tray to organize it or windows based
EM_EXEC.EXE is a part of software related to Logitech MouseWare.
cpqinet.exe is a process allowing easy internet access for AOL and CompuServer users.
cpqns - Related to Compaq.Net - if customer does not use Compaq.Net. Not required.
mswspl - possible search bar / Trojan
tkbellexec - not for sure
a-winpoet-service - Possible - WinPoET is the industry's first Windows-based PPP over Ethernet client. Developed by iVasion, WinPoET is attractive to equipment providers, modem suppliers, RBOCs and ISPs. For more info read here. It uses dial-up networking for new high-speed internet customers who are more familiar with analogue modems. If unchecked in MSCONFIG it reports Error 360 - Hardware Error in dial-up networking
Zone labs client - Zone Alarm
ashmaisv - Avast
spywareguard - spyware preventer
mailwasher - antispam
microsoft office startup - office
truesector - I think Zone Alarm
avast - antivirus
dkservice - From Executive Software's Diskeeper defragmenting utility - a replacement for Windows Disk Defragmenter. It's recommended to leave this enabled, otherwise you could have problems starting it manually.
isdbdc - Possible - For Compaq PC's. May install properties in dial-up networking when you register with an ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom