Xp Sp2 runs slowwww

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobeno

Beta member
So I've been avoiding those dang service packs forever, I finally downloaded sp2, and my computer has run slow since, my processor is constantly working. When moving an instant message box around the screen, the cpu usage goes up to 90.

Ive been trying different clock speeds to see if that helps, but no luck, i run an AMB anthlon 2700+

any ideas?

I think a lot of people encounter this problem after install. I defragged and ran a chkdisk. and after a few days my system acted normal.

geekster said:
I think a lot of people encounter this problem after install. I defragged and ran a chkdisk. and after a few days my system acted normal.

yep..check your disk is the first way.

i think the best time to upgrade to sp2 is on a fresh install of xp.

people seem to run in to less problems that way.

you should have plenty of speed with the cpu you posted

I would recommend staying away from sp2 altogether. I have experienced nothing but problems with sp2, and I have had many experiences with sp2. The same thing happens on my machine, when I move around a window my cpu spikes. That even happens when I move my mouse around really fast, I dont even have sp2. I've chaulked it up to the fact that I have a cheap-ass MoBo and it wont do that when I get a new MoBo. And if that dosent work, well, I will deal with that problem when it comes.

tobeno said:
So I've been avoiding those dang service packs forever, I finally downloaded sp2

Does that mean you dont even have sp1? Man, thats dangerous. SP1 is great, Microsoft made it work fine. I wouldnt recommend even using XP without SP1. But SP2 is a TOTALLY different story....

Apparently, like someone said before me, installing sp2 on a fresh install is the only way to make it work properly.

yeah i got both sp1 and 2, yeah sorry didnt specify that, deffraging helped a little, but still is slow,

the windows media player animation lags!

So far, out of 130 system between work, home, and my clients, I have not seen one bad problem with SP2. I'm sure they are out there and there is a reason for it. Most of the system I upgraded were reimaged, or were cleaned out before the install like spyware, any known viruses, bad drivers, etc. All runs fine. I dont have any programs on the systems that SP2 don't like either so so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom