.exe programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmta

Solid State Member
Okay, let me ask this way. Can somebody please tell me which program in xp runs a .exe file. In the case of downloading something new to install, I'm always prompted to oick a program to run it.

Are you sure is an .exe program? Sounds like you an an unsupported file format that XP wants you to look for a program to execute it. Right? What program are you wanting to use?

W.M., Heres the problem. Everytime I try to grab a program off the internet to install, in this case Firefox, Which should be Firefoxsetup.exe, Somehow they get a .cache extension added to the file.

In the past if given the opportunity to save a file to disk, I would simply go in and rename the file by dropping the .cache extension and the file would run. Its always a program file of something new I'm trying to install.

So like you said, windows is confused by the extension that appears on the file and prompts me for something to open it with.

Check this out; Lately, When I try to rename the file by dropping the .cache extension, It doesn't appear in the file name visible to your eye, but windows still recognizes the .cache extension is there, as in if you hold your mouse pointer over the file name. But even if you delete the entire filename and rewrite it without that stupid extension low and behold, hit enter when done retyping there's that extension again!

I asked which program to use to open .exe files since somehow the association with those got changed, I probably did it but can't find my way back home so to speak. So I thought if I could at least get the proper association back with .exe files maybe I could try again to get it all straightned out. Hope this is clear, and thanks a bunch for your help!!

Also should mention it happens through any browser I'm trying to get a file through, both Netscape and IE.

Try this:

CAUSE
This problem may occur if the W32/Swen.A@MM (Swen) worm installed itself on your computer when you installed a security update that you received as an e-mail attachment to an unexpected e-mail that claims to be from Microsoft.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps.

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.1. Restart your computer in safe mode.

For additional information about safe mode in Microsoft Windows 2000, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
202485 Description of safe boot mode in Windows 2000
For additional information about safe mode in Microsoft Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 A description of the safe mode boot options in Windows XP
2. Change the file association for .reg files on your computer. To do this, follow these steps.
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
a. Right-click My Computer, and then click Open.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
c. In the Registered file types list, click Registration Entries, and then click Change.
d. In the Choose the program you want to use list, click Registry Editor, and then click OK.

Note If Registry Editor does not appear in the Choose the program you want to use list, follow these steps:1. Click Other, and then click My Computer in the Look in list.
2. Double-click Local Disk (C:), and then double-click WINNT.
3. Click regedit, and then click Open.
4. Click OK, and then click Close.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
a. Right-click My Computer, and then click Open.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
c. In the Registered file types list, click Registration Entries, and then click Change.
d. In the Programs list, click Registry Editor, and then click OK.

Note If Registry Editor does not appear in the Programs list, follow these steps:1. Click Browse, and then click My Computer in the Look in list.
2. Double-click Local Disk (C:), and then double-click WINDOWS.
3. Click regedit.exe, and then click Open.
4. Click OK, and then click Close.

3. Create a .reg file that is named Repair.reg to repair the registry. To do this, follow these steps:a. Right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to New, and then click Text Document.
b. Press ENTER.
c. Double-click New Text Document.txt, and then paste the following in the document:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\piffile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\scrfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"

d. On the File menu, click Save As.
e. In the Save in list, click Desktop.
f. In the File name box, type Repair.reg.
g. In the Save as type list, click All Files.
h. Click Save.
i. Double-click Repair.reg on the desktop, click Yes, and then click OK.

4. Update the virus definitions of the antivirus software that is installed on your computer. To do this, scan your computer with the antivirus software, and then follow the instructions for removing this worm.
5. Use Task Manager to remove any file that the Swen worm created to run as a background system process. To do this, follow these steps:a. Right-click the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
b. Click the Processes tab.
c. Click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
d. Scroll through the list of processes, and look for any randomly-named values that the worm created, such as "ZNFUL."
e. If you locate a randomly-named value, click it, and then click End Process. In the Task Manager Warning dialog box, click Yes.
f. Exit Task Manager.

6. Restart your computer after you remove the worm.

Wow, That was a lot of work for you to give me all those instructions. I can't thank you enough!!

You definately rule!!

Hi W.M.
I'm going for it Saturday, Will post the results then. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom