speed of electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
much of the links I have posted, when and if you read you HAVE to remember that these are experiments and it can not be proven that it has in fact happened. For them to say that it in fact happened they have to figure out why, and rule out any other possible explanations. However, it makes for some fascinating reading and is pretty exciting.

Nubius said:
Yeah...does that mean I can't comment on it when it does?
Nah...it just means it's funny, :).

Originally posted by m3trj
Light can have mass, because it has been discovered that it has momentum. To have momentum you need to have mass.
It's been known that light can have mass for a long time. However, since light is one of the few things that can behave both as a wave and a particle, light can have mass, and it can also be massless. Except for its extreme speed, light particles can behave the same as most other particles. Light waves are a wholly different matter.

light photons don't have mass, at least not in the normal term. read up on/google for 'equivalence principle' for a little more info on that.

Wow, I posted this...and forgot about it...because I asked the right person in AIM...and come back like 2 weeks later to find like 50 posts about ABSOLUTELY nothing pertaining to my original post....my word I love forums! ;P ......no but back to the headlight situation. I believe that if you achieved lightspeed (getting Star Wars lingo goin on here :~) ) and you shot a beam of light (you headlight), it would then be traveling at double the speed of light, due to the principle of added velocity. For example...if you stand on the side of the road, and I have someone drive down the road, with me standing in the flatbed of the vehicle, and I throw a baseball at you, (lets say the truck was going 50mph) and I threw the ball at 40mph from a stand still, that baseball would hit you with the accumulative force of 90mph, BECAUSE of the extra propulsion the truck provided. The same principle would apply to the lightbeam, if I have a flashlight, and take off running down the path at 15mph, and I turn the beam on ahead of me, I would be increasing its speed by 15mph. Theories man, gotta love unproven ideas of what COULD be...but not necessarily is...

actually, it wouldn't travel twice as fast since its proportional to the object speed. I'll describe this in more detail, or just look up some of the stuff above (it does infact pertain to your question)... but its time to take my butt home!

Could you enunciate a little more on that? I would have to contest that if you speed up the SOURCE of the light...then the light itself would travel faster than if the source were standing still...

hey guys,

i just read this and called my uncle asap. Hes a PyroTechnician and his hobbies is DC/AC Current.

2 fun facts. u cant get shocked in mid air unless u complete the circuit...ie standing on the ground.

1......not really a fact buht a debate. Electric Current travels 99% the speed of Light. Since nothing in the universe is faster then the speed of light, it is impossible for time travel. We found out that if u can exceed the speed of light somehow... it is very possible for time travel. Gravity is faster then light. I dunno why or how buht thats what my uncle said... peace out

ok first of all...yes u CAN travel faster than light...they've actually shot a beam of argon sliiiiightly faster than light.

Addressing your statement that time travel would be possible, given that you can travel faster than light... *breaths deeply* ok here we go...

what you "see" when you see...oh idk a tree for example...is what you PERCEIVE as a tree...its really light bouncing off in a pattern...and your brain recognizes that pattern as a tree....so irregardless of you being able to perceive the tree...its still there....or "realtime." Are you still with me?

Ok so if you can travel faster than what light can show you the state of something, you will simply see something sooner than if you were to be more distanced from the source of where the light first bounced. HOWEVER, having said this...you cannot go further than the point of origin, or the place where the light bounced to begin with....ANOTHERWORDS, you cant go past the realtime event of....oh say a leaf falling off a tree...but you CAN speed up the process of the light reaching your eyes, and you perceiving the leaf falling off the tree.....so in all actuality, having said all this...time travel (through this method anyways) is IMPOSSIBLE. INCONCEIVABLE....PROPOSTEROUS! Get the picure ;)

EDIT:

oops forgot the speed of electricity:

ok heres what I've learned since the original post here...

The speed of electricity vs the speed of light in a vaccuum is called "relative velocity." Think about it...if you have to travel through something...your going to slow down...so naturally energy is no different....so when electricity passes through copper....air....water....anything....its going to be slower than when in a vaccuum. Food for thought...

woah nice anaology. im so sory i heard it rong from my uncle and he said that yes at Lawrence Livermore Labs they have shot somthing faster then light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom