DDR2 Ram - way of the future ; or another RAMBUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I am currently building my first PC with DDR2 memory for a client. I always get that little excited when i come down to playing around with a new generation of technology. And my client has all sorts of new bells and whistles in this new box (like the new LGA755 Pentium CPU and PCI-X)

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE YOU COMMENT THAT I NORMALLY BUILD BORING WORKSTATION AND SERVER PCs IN MY JOB. I RARELY GET TO BUILD HARDCORE GAMES MACHINES AT WORK.

Anyways, DDR2 memory was a pain to order it. It's turns out that a lot of the imports are being careful on bringing in the stuff as they do not want to get stung the way they did with RAMBUS a few years back.

So the question is this, DDR2 memory... is it the way of the future, or is it going to be another Dodo like RAMBUS was a few years ago?

Hmm, that's crazy...

Well...currently DDR2 seems like everything when it first comes out, SLI, 64Bit CPU's, PCI-E, everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon because it's new, BUUUUT Until they've actually settled in and that hardware is going to be around and has had time to evolve into the hardware market I don't think it's at all necessary to get it.

I didn't know crap about computers like I do now up until around August of last year so I don't even remember the whole deal with RAMBUS so I couldn't really give you a definitive answer there.

Wait and watch is about all we can do, but they REALLY need to get them latencies down on that DDR2 as there are some really great OC'ing DDR sticks out now that can get upwards of the same speeds with tighter timings...

I had Rambus, and yes it wasn't widely used and became very $$. But regardless, it worked great. So even if it did go that route I wouldn't be to worried. Reason being that if you have a gig or so of it, it's gonna work great and run all software fine. Yea, you may wont to have a easily upgradeable mobo but by the time that becomes a must there will be another ram solution on the mark I would bet and you would need a new mobo regardless. Just my opinion. Oh yea, I was using Rambus until less than 1 month ago. And I would say it's here to stay awhile because it's an improvement on a existing technology(DDR). It's not something totally new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom