Mandrake Linux 9.1 Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Ah, yes I am installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 right next to my Windows XP pro. It worked fine.

When I boot, it shows the Mandrake Linux screen like normal - but it stops at Mounting Other Filesystems and stays like that for awhile and eventually says (exactly):
Mounting other filesystems: spurious 8259a INTERRUPT IRQ7

I looked this up, but I can't find anything.

AMD Duron 1.2ghz
80 gig maxtor
20 W.D
512mb ram
Radeon 9200
XP pro

Yes, I have run Linux before. Actually, I run it alot ^_^

are you running an nVidia graphics card? if so you might want to update to the latest drivers. I've seen that problem on Mandrake 8.1.

Nope, I fixed it.. I reinstalled Linux again (did a upgrade) and it worked.

Uh, but my windows still says NTDRL is missing.

I'll probably have to reinstall just windows.. not a problem ;)

I'm using ATI Radeon card.

Where did you put the boot loader? Did you mount it at the beginning of the drive or somewhere else? I know Mandrake 9.1 gives you like 4 options.

I think you can go into your KDE system config and fix it without instlaling Windows again. Check the partition tool.

Lostman said:

I think you can go into your KDE system config and fix it without instlaling Windows again. Check the partition tool.

Where exactly can I do this? To fix the problem with Windows NTDRL? I'll look into this.

I have fixed the problem.. but don't have Windows now =\

I'm not saying it would fix your problem.....Just think it's the right direction.

When you install Mandrake 9.1 on a drive that has Win on it + free space, you have to take that free space and convert it into the 3 smaller partitions that make up the linux partition. Root, swap and whatever the other one is.

After that is all done, the install proggy lets you choose where you put the bootloader. If I understand correctly, if running tandem with Windows, you need the boot loader to be part of the Master Boot Record, at the beginning of the drive.

So what my suggestion is go to your Mandrake config proggy, should be in the programs bar. Click the disk management section (might not be called that exactly) and see if your Windows file system is still mounted there. If it is, you probably still have windows on your system. You just need to get your bootloader to see it.

Okay. I seen "Partition" in KDE but it just shows partition stuff. Yes, Windows is there.

Anyway, it says NTDRL is missing when I boot windows.

I restored it using recovery on XP Cd, but it seems to not work for some reason =\

I'll try it again soon.

If not I'll just reinstall Windows.. doesn't take that long.

Here you go. Found this on another site.

"To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:
Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
At the A:\> prompt type:
sys c: <press enter>

After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the computer without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error."

Lostman said:
Here you go. Found this on another site.

"To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:
Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
At the A:\> prompt type:
sys c: <press enter>

After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the computer without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error."

OK I can just rip the sys.com off any Windows OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom