Trying to cool my CPU more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duh, sorry dude my mistake, I just saw that in the post above mine =/

Well dang, only thing I could think of is if you just put WAY too much grease on it, when I set up a 64 system for this guy I had to reseat it because the first time his hit 70C on full load and shut down, afterwards it dropped to 60C full load.

Perhaps your screws aren't tightened evenly and causing the heatsink to not be completely flat? Don't know, that's a stretch but I'm runnin out of ideas =/

Shouldn't be the problem either, there's not much thermal paste on there at all right now, I put about a grain of rice worth on there, and spread it, then seated the heatsink, I reseated it a few days ago, when it was not working then. And I tightened the screws gradually switching back and forth, and the thing is sitting on there solidly, so I donn't think that is the issue either. And it's not like its warm in my room, it's winter time in minnesota and the window under which my computer sits has pretty poor insulation, so there's cold air coming in through it. yet my Case temp when running idle still got up to 29C which I was told was a little warm. But I just tried running with a small clip fan blowing directly into the case with the side panel off, and there was no change.

*edit* Here's a link to something simular to what my case is:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81046
Differences are, I have no front plugs, I have a different power supply, there is no washable air filter, I have 4 80MM fans running, I put the 2 fans as intake in the front. I believe it is a steel case. very heavy.

Hmmm.....well dang man....I'm really at a loss here.

For shites and giggles, if you feel like it, try reverting to SP1 from SP2...I remember some people getting reports of higher temps probably due to more things running thanks to SP2 or something along those lines.

Other than that I'm stumped as to what the problem could be.

OMG, I just went into my BIOS to see what my CPU temp was reading, and its at 128C!! I don't know what the crap is going on. I'm going to check if there are newer BIOS files for my Motherboard, maybe it's just misreading. First thing I'm going to try is running over to Microcenter and picking up some AS5, see if that helps.

Ok, 128 C is like, 260F (mental math, please dont flame) If your CPU was really running that hot, you'd be able to cook breakfast on ur heatsink.(hmm.. a novel idea....) I seriously doubt its running that hot (and if it is i cant belive it's actually RUNNING). See if u can find a thermometer, or maybe a temp gun if ur lucky, and check it. Put ur hand next to (not on!!) the heatsink if u cant find anything. If it's REALLY running that hot, you must have some serious hardware problems, make sure ur mobo isnt shorting anywhere, and if u havent already, reset ur BIOS

Yeah, I can't believe it can make the jump from 60C to 128C just upon a restart, oh and BTW it's back up and running again, at 60C, all I did was remove the heatsink/fan and this time I also took the CPU out for a sec, to see if there was any visible damage, but there was nothing wrong that I could see, and after reseating it all again, it started up at it's normal 60C.

JLobes, I've touched the Heatsink several times since I got the new mobo/cpu/HSF and it's always cool to the touch, maybe gets slightly warm but nothing out of the ordinary. I have a feeling it's either a sensor, or the CPU acting up. Also, it was getting 60C readings from the start, and since then I've reset the BIOS several times and flashed the BIOS to a newer version once.

So for now my computer is running again, seems impossible for it to go from 60C to 128C without making any changes, and back to 60C just by reseating the HS.

Well it's a given it's not actually running at 128C, merely pointing out the issue is more likely than not, bad readings from the BIOS.

The CPU would be dead at 80-90C muchless 128C

yea... but this one instance where it jumped to 128 indicates that there is a sensor reading problem, and if the readings r being screwed is it possible that ur cpu isn't really runnin at 60 and that the die or bios is shutting it down when it thinks its too hot but it really isn't?

So defective Motherboard/Sensor readings? Cause it was reading 60C when I first got it, I updated the BIOS to see if it made any difference and it didn't. There's another BIOS patch for it now, but the only change it lists is "Support for Semperon processors" so I doubt it will change anything, my Mobo is still covered under warrenty, but they have discontinued my Model, so they likely would just try to fix it, since they can't replace it with the same one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom