how do I get things working again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimullet

Baseband Member
can't install anything...

I have a hard drive that just plain stopped working, and was causing windows to not function hardly at all. just because it was connected and not able to do anything, windows would take forever and a half to do anything - including pop up the start menu. today I disconnected the drive, but now I have new problems: I had a lot of programs installed on the disk I disconnected, and now windows won't let me install ANYTHING. I get this "error 1327" message, which says "invalid drive: d:" (the drive I removed) and nothing will install. so, my question is, what can I do, if anything? do I have to back some things up and reinstall windows, or what?

Can you restate your question...it's confusing. Sounds like to me you said you took your hdd out and you tried to install something??? How can this be?

ok. what I did was take out my hard drive in order to stop my computer from being confused. I could literally get nothing done on it before, when the drive was in. after the drive was out, I wanted the programs back that I had installed on that hard drive, so I tried to install one on my other drive. for whatever reason, I don't even get to the install process. it only gets as far as initializing the setup process, or starting it, and then it tells me it can't run the setup, and for some reason it tells my the drive I took out has something to do with it. does anyone know what I can do?

To me, it sounds like your hard drive is going or has already gone bad. The same thing happened to me, and i called gateway( not to mention any names) and they said that my hard drive has gone bad. Try to call the company that makes your computer, and they will be able to run some diagnostics on your pc.

It sounds like you have TWO drives in your system-yes/no? You list a 120GB Maxtor, is there another one-this D-drive you mention, if so, clear it from the BIOS settings. During bootup it is searching for it and not finding it.

If your OS is on your C drive, and your problem drive is D, this wouldnt affect your OS funtionality. You may have multiple problems.

If you removed Drive D and then you attempt to install a program to a drive that doesnt exist ofcourse you will get an error message. Im unclear what exactly you are attempting to do here.

By removing a drive it may have confused your drive assigments so make sure you fix this.

What is the default path the software wants to install to-it may be hard-coded to point to the D drive ie: D:\programs\money\..... if so, try to change the path to point to your C drive when you are asked to "CONFIRM" the installtion location before you continue with the install.

TIP TIME::::::::

It is of utmost importance to try and be very clear and very specific when asking for help to the best of your abilities. Try to avoid being "VAGUE" about the hardware, software, and type of problem you are experiencing.

I would test your C Drive(Maxtor 120GB) to determine it is still in good shape(scandisk, Maxtors Disk Program) and if it checks out I would reinstall your OS to start fresh.....

I finally figured it out today. yes, I did have 2 hard drives, and I'm sorry for not making that clear. however, I'm not so out of it that I'd try to install a program on a drive that isn't there. that error message is what I'd get the minute I tried to run setup. it happened before I did anything in setup. luckily I fixed things: I went through my registry and deleted all the keys with references to the D: drive, and that took care of my problem. thanks anyway :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom