Quick mobo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaggleboggin

In Runtime
In a mobo such as this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-150&depa=1 where it has dual architecture for a total of 5 ddr slots, is it possible to have 4 sticks of ram?

Dual DDR architecture
3 x 184-pin DIMM slots
Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (Max. 3GB)
Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (Max. 2GB)

For example, if I stuck 2x256mb of ram into it at 400ddr, could I later add 2x256 at 333ddr and have a total of 1gb of dual channel? Or would I have to have four sticks of ddr333?

Thanks in advance.

Basically, yes, you would have 1 gig in dual channel. Correctly though, you have one 512 in dual channel, and you have another on in dual channel. They are on different channels. But, yes, basically you have 1gb dual channel.

I understand what you mean, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't get screwed up completely with different speeds. Thanks for the response. :)

Ok Him, that information you posted is basically incorrect.

You can NOT put two different speeds of RAM in there and expect it to run in Dual Channel. One stick doesn't run dual channel by itself. They have to be two identicle sticks, although if you underclocked the 400 down to 333 then it's possible to perhaps achieve dual channel.

The way DC works is one stick is in channel A, and the other stick is in Channel B, both channels are working at the same time, thus the term Dual Channel.

I don't know where you got 5 DDR slots from man, that board only has 3 slots.

To run in dual channel you'd be a stick in slot 1 and 3, or in 2 and 3 and that would give you dual channel.

Mind you that board only supports 333FSB though so your PC3200 would be underclocked.

To get dual channel you are only using 2 sticks. If you want 1gb dual channel you need 2x512.

Sometimes 2x256 in slots 1 and 2, and then a 512mb stick in the 3rd slot has been known to achieve DC but it's not always guaranteed and the RAM specs have to be the same for it to work.

The board totally has 5 slots, 2 of them are dual channel 400 and three of them are dial channel 333, 266, and 200 (I think) It's not wrong, just a difficult time getting my point across.

I know on my board I have four slots, both of which are dual channel. I got banks 1 and 3, that I can put two identical sticks in and acheieve dual channel. Now with those two sticks running dual channel, I can put two different (but identical) stick in banks 2 and 4 and also acheive dual channel with those two sticks. Understand what I was getting at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom