Strange things happen when HD run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilhart

Beta member
Recently i just bought a new PC everything works fine its just that when the Hard Disk is running the pc become lagging such as mouse movement lagging, sound become broken/lagging, i can't even do installing and watching movie at the same time. However when the HardDisk cooldown/stop running it went back to normal. Is this because of the Hard disk. I'm using a Maxtor ATA HD 300GB.

Do you thing changing HD to SATA HD helps?.

You said when you were installing something and trying to play a movie, and it was stuttering? Are you using the cdrom to install something, or is the file off of your hard drive?

that's a point, if you're accessing 2 files from your hard drive at once, it could cause a slowdown
if you access 2 files at the same time, the hard drive will quickly switch between the 2 and then wait for the data to be under the read/write heads

well i was using cd rom to install stuff but still if i listen to music it shouldn't be lagging and it also cause my mouse movement to be lagging.

well i tried before using other PC installing stuff with CD rom and watching movie that is on the hard disk still the picture and sound everything goes smoothly. However for my case the frame speed is slown down and sound become broken/lagging.

Is this because of the HD problem?

Even the sound that was played when u 1st log into windows is broken/lagging which doesn't usually happen on any other pc. HD is running and sound is being played smoothly, mouse cursor move smooth. However for my new PC this is not the case. >.<

Hi there!

I am curious to know about thisproblem too.
I had the same "thing" for years on my new computer, though wasn't so severe as Devilharts'.

My old comp was an AMD k6-500 MHz with average specs.
Then recently I bougth a new one, PIV-3.0 GHz with pretty good specs and it does the same thing.
In the old comp when the hard disk it's being used (copy and/or write) the sound gets garbled, all messed up. And programs slowed down. But I had no real problems, just waited to finish my copying from CD or hard disk or whatever.
In my new comp it's more severe, yet stranger because doesn't happens all the time. Sometimes I boot up the comp and I get this behaviour. I restart and everything is OK, I can copy, write, read, load any program I can think of without the sound getting crapy. Usually I look if the Winamp is playing good.
So I solve this thing with restarting the computer.

But it's so damn annoying to do so.

So, what can be done? I mean, the components are brand new, and it's visible that they can work together just fine. Still sometimes they just don't do.

Rudolf

If your computer lags while installing a program and playing a movie at the same time, something is seriously wrong, unless its a Pentium 90 or the graphics card drivers haven't been installed. So make sure they are installed.

I would do a benchmark on the HD. Something like HD Tach or PC Mark (I think).

Also make sure its using UltraDMA mode. Go to the system devices and check the IDE controler properties.

Good luck.

... seem this at comp stores, usually the system has some sort of cheap hardware, not enough ram, ect. This happened on my current rig until I installed the latest MB drivers. Make sure your mb drivers are up to date. If thats not the prob, then I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom