modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruben said:
The os is W/ME. I think I have checked the programs installed and didnt see a modem driver but I will check again and check the cable.........I'll be back!

no Ruben, i think microbell meant go check if the modem drivers are installed properly. you will not find it in the add/remove programs list. if i remember correctly in windows millenium it will be in

my computer >> control panel >> system>> *device manager*

by default it should list devices by type, but you can change it with the view options. check to see if there is a yellow or black "?" question mark or "!" exclamation point.... or a mixture of both under the modem group. either symbols will mean a device that has a conflict and is not working properly. you will need to reinstall the drivers for the device, and i'm not sure but you may have to remove the device from device manager and reboot so winME can redetect the hardware.

this time when you install the driver make sure you do not allow winME to automatically find a driver for you. select "let me find my own driver from a list" or some option similar to this. it will ask what kind of device it is, select "modem" (or communication device? not sure). the folder that the Best Buy pc technician put on your desktop is probably your modem drivers, you will need to specify the location of your modem's device driver on the modem folder on your desktop which is something like this:

c:\windows\desktop\modem

if the modem folder does not contain drivers for your modem than you can try using the modem driver CD that came with your hardware. it usually is on your modem's driver CD in a folder such as: drivers>> millenium, or winME or something similar. find a folder that is for your operating system for example:

cd-rom drive\ driver folder \ operating system\ file
D:\drivers\ WINME\ *.INF

it will ask for a specific configuration file in the windows millenium driver folder, or whatever it is called on the driver CD there will be and INF file. there may be more than one INF and as long as its not autorun.INF choose it and it will present you with a list of available drivers to choose from. if they do not look correct for your modem model/make choose another INF configuration file. try the first chronologically listed INF file first.

this is just general help i am trying to give you, there should be a instruction manual that came with your modem or at least a text help file on the modem's driver CD or floppy disk.

if you tried all this and still cannot get the modem working properly or did not understand what i said, i can try to fix it for you with your permission through pcanywhere and a connection to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom