xp doesn't recognize keybroad or cdrom, but both are working = virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MicroBell said:
Removeing the battery just sets the bios back to default settings. Doesn't fix hardware issues..unless the system was unstable due to and an extream overclock...Just like reseting the CMOS.

If the keyboard and CD Rom both work fine (While in Dos) then you can assume this is an XP issue. A clean Reinstall of the OS may be your best bet as you have suggested.

sounds like we're all in agreement. I'll try a USB keyboard but I really don't think that's going to help since dos reads the keyboard fine and nothing's wrong in device manager. I'd guess something is affecting the keyboard interrupt or a file is missing so USB won't help, but that doesn't explain the cdrom.

I'll let you guys know if the USB keyboard helped, if not assume I clean installed XP.

Still this has to be the oddest problem I've ever had... speaking of clean install XP what do you guys suggest for backups? System restore failed me big time here, would only let me roll back a few hours, long after I remembered system restore was enabled. I like those clone OS backups like HyperOS or VMWare, but HyperOS is way too expensive and ... I don't know much about VMWare, that might work, but those aren't really backup solutions, they're suppose to be for alternate OSes on a single PC.

I've had tape and raid in the past but tape takes forever to restore and raid is only good in a hard drive crash, not if XP is messed up. I've used a program called casper xp to clone drives in the past and it works beautifully, if I can get it to clone the drive nightly and store a week's worth of clones it'd be the perfect solution.

YOu're not going to believe this: I think I found the problem. I plugged in a old ps2 mouse and unplugged the usb mouse and now the keyboard works fine. Definitely a XP problem and not hardware or a virus.

Learn something new every day... oh and I can still use the usb mouse, I just have to keep the ps2 mouse plugged in so the keyboard works. Crazy, and now that I know what the problem is a usb keyboard might have worked after all, but I didn't bother because I like the IBM keyboard and it was free to try and install XP on a extra 20gig hard drive.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Maybe I'll stick around and help some of the noobies

MicroBell said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unplug any USB device connected and try.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL...Glad your fixed anyway!!! :)

ps2 keyboard connected to ps2 port... who would guess it's the USB Mouse? Makes as much sense as unplugging the printer to get the monitor to work...

Oh well, like you said it's working now and that's the important part.

helpdesk said:
Take the battery out? You really think that'll work? Never heard of removing the bios battery to correct hardware issues, would imagine restoring defaults would be enough.

Where did you hear that removing the bios battery would help with a hardware or software problem? Has it ever corrected a problem for you that restoring bios defaults didn't?

That's his answer for everything. :D

In regards to my second post on this thread, I apoligize. I read it rather quick looking for key words and trying to skip the filler.

But, as you probably know, if you uninstall a device and reinstall it, you can sometimes clear up small issues. Which was my point.

iory knows nothing do not listen to him, if you have virus, he'll tell you to replae your power supply and thatll fix everything... guarunteed! lol, u should really stop posting and start paying attention in school, lol

yeah, I remember blowing up my cpu a few years back. All I had to do to fix it was take out the cmos battery for 10 min, put it back in and my cpu was like new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom