Warning about Asus A8V deluxe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcoreyx

Baseband Member
I recently started building a amd64 machine and ran into some problems. I did all my research and read all the reviews on the amd mobos.I decided to go with the Asus A8V mobo and thought it was the best choice at the time.Little did I know I was in for a nightmare.

1. I bought the board and took it home.Hooked everything up and booted it up to see if it would post.No such luck.turns out the a8v comes with an older bios and the memory can only support one stick in the second slot.It took 3 techs and countless days of research and questioning to figure it out.

2.It finally post's and i configure the bios and restart with my windows xp pro oem disk in and start to go through setup.the screen comes up telling me to push f6 to install sata drives. i do it and realize that it needs a floppy for the drivers.my mobo didnt come with a floppy so i dl'ed it from the asus website.pop it in and install every driver.proceed to go to setup and it says it sees no hard drive.

3.at this point i wanted to throw the damn thing out the window.so i returned it and got the msi neo2 platinum. booted right up with dual channel enabled and went into windows setup with the floppy for the drivers that came with the mobo and installed them. proceeded and installed windows fine.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DONT BUY ASUS.

We are running the exact same board for a customer...getting it ready. One of the things we do is set it up and then try and *break it* before sending it out. No problems setting it up, it's been running now for 4 days without a hitch in better shape than any MSI board we've used yet. It's a SWEET board.

Now we aren't running any SATA yet and I don't think we will cause this customer doesn't need them. But Had we needed them, we had the floppy handy.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with an Asus board but we've had issues with MSI and still we buy MSI boards. Liz

Ya, the whole problem is the fact that for people who want sata performance cant use it because you have the flash the bios for it to recognize the hdd.

I was a little premature in saying dont buy asus.the new asus sli board is pretty nice.im just glad that asus went away from the via chipset and went to the new nForce4.

The A8V is a great mobo, however it does have piss poor BIOS. Mind was corrupted upon shipping it.

No i was not using SATA or 90nm CPU's, the bios was screwed, like someone messed with the code. Untill I flashed it, it would not work.

lol same situation for me man. I had an asus board that was absolute crap and wouldn't run this graphics card of mine, I contacted ASUS they said it was my card, I said F them, bought an MSI board and it worked flawlessly :D

I like MSI IMO and built a 64 setup with the Neo2-Platinum and found it to be a great board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom