Bad XP Installation to Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
Ok I am in a boo boo situation...

I have tried to install XP on my new rig using a recovery CD - which didn't worked because it is missing a file that is required to complete setup... Anyway, I don't wanna go out and buy the full version, so I am going to revert back to WIN 95 for a few weeks (there is a reason for this).

But everytime I boot up it starts to load XP setup (the bit where u shud go on to select language and IP settings etc). This then gives me an error... "missing file blah blah" then reboots. This is an endless cycle.

I put the 95 CD in and try to boot from that, but when it reads from CD it goes straight onto the hard drive again and into XP setup. This means i can't seem to run 95 setup because of the XP bad installation.

Is there a boot disk I can make to run the 95 setup? Or maybe get into DOS so I can tell it to run setup on the CD???

erm no I havn't, I have a recovery CD which doesn't have all the files on it.

Copying discs is not illegal. Buying or downloading software for which you don't have a licence for is.

What files does it say is missing? You are loading XP from 95? You might want to think again as your system might be very slow unless you have added memory and upgraded the cpu, if this is an old pc that is, but I don't see why you would run 95 on a new pc so this is just what I'm assuming. Anyways, what commands did you use in the RC ro replace the missing file? Get a windows 98 bootdisk and delete the partiton and format it and that should take care of the problem.

I'm using it on a new build which is the one on my signature.

I had a recovery from my previous computer which says some .dll files are missing when loading, I guess this is to do with hidden partitions I hear about concerning recovery cds and missing files!

Anyway, I have a 98 CD which I have managed to put a giant crack on, so am left with 95 lol I figure this is better than nothing and as I plan to get XP in a couple weeks, it will make sure the computer is running happily before I go and spend the money!

I have managed to get rid of the bad XP on the HDD by reformatting it on another computer, but 95 does not boot up on its own! :)

Like warez monster said, get a 98 boot disk, start with cdrom support, and run setup off your 95 cd , assuming you already formatted. If not, put you bootdisk in hit shift+f5 at the menu and format c: , then do above.

(I would just use Linux but I dont know if thats an option for you)

Ok cool, I can't seem to run 95 setup, it keeps going back to the HDD even when I select CDROM from the boot optionsafter POST (CDROM is first in BIOS Boot priority).

Linux sounds good, but compatability with stuff is where I think the negativity overrules. I'll be using the rig for games and editing, so am not sure what applications are supported :p

Thanks anyways everyone (except for that unhelpful comment from apokalipse earlier??). I'll keep playing about with settng and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom