Probably a stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisticStorm

In Runtime
To everyone else the answer to this question may sound very logical, but I have no idea. Anyways, the question. If I buy a jump drive, (they seem like a neat toy) and I store Excel databases, and other documents on it and leave it connected to my computer at all times; if my computer's hard drive would crash for some reason would this also affect the jump drive. I'm just curious as to what the answer would be. I have a few excel documents I update everyday and as of right now, I'm also updating them to a floppy as a backup, but the floppy is starting to get full. I'm wondering what I should do as this is important info that I don't want to lose and have lost before. Thanx for any imput you guys have. :)

I have a jump drive and every time I plug it in the computer considers it as a seperate drive. Therefore, I dont think a hard dive crash would affect the jump dive.

The only way a HD failure might affect the jump drive is if your computer was reading from or writing to it at the time of the crash. Even then, chances are the only thing lost would be the file that was currently in use.

yeah, i dont think it would be affected, just be careful about viruses, they like to propagate themselves to removeable storage

But keep in mind that while a hard drive faliure (sp?) will not crash your jump-drive, a virus can. If your system sees it as a seperate drive in your OS it's still open to a virus. And with it's intended portability, you can spread them around.

So I suggest making sure you scan that drive for virus' before you remove it and put it on another system.

Thanx for all the help guys. I haven't got a jump drive yet, but I do believe I'm going to soon. I don't think I'll leave it in all the time though, just when I'm using it, to be safe.

im going to get one, they are awesome, and the fact that i can put 512mb on a single disk that is portable is just sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom