Help with system building please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredleysir

Beta member
Hey this is my first post so I wasn't sure where to post it. If it's in the wrong forum, feel free to move it, naturally.
Anyways I'm building myself a new system... on a very limited budget. It's mainly going to be used for typical stuff like internet, word processing, etc., as a home theatre system (DVD player and surround sound), and as a recording studio so I'll be running plenty of audio editing software on it.
Anyways, what I'm getting to is this:
Right now I have an ECS (I know, I know) PM-800M2 motherboard waiting for some RAM and a CPU.
I was wondering if I should go with a P4 1.7GHz/400MHz FSB/256K or a Celeron 2.7GHz/400MHz FSB/128K or even just buy an AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU/motherboard combo??
I'll be getting 512MB of RAM and most likely upgrade it to 1024MB a little later on. Which brings me to my next question:
What speed of RAM should I get for each processor? If I go with some 3200/400 that will be backwards compatible for the Sempron's 333FSB right?
Any help or guidance to the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

woe, woe, woe. Your complicating the issue. Forget about all that, what you need is a computer first. Then upload dos onto the server. I really think you can run that program without RAM so dont waste your money. DVC is unnessesary, stick to VHS based movies and you will be surprised at the performance.

Is everyone like this in NZ, very funny

Well... humor "down under" must be different...If anyone wants to actually help me with this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

for what you're doing, you won't need anything powerful
so I would recommend maybe an Athlon XP, Geforce FX5200, 512MB PC3200 RAM and a cheap Socket A motherboard to suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom