Computer automatically restarts before login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbressler

Solid State Member
I have an HP zd7140 (zd7000 series). Just a few days ago, when I booted it up, it restarted after I saw the scrolling blue bar with the XP logo (have had SP2 for a while). The screen goes black, then goes between a few different colors (black | teal | off | black | restart). I made a Bart PE boot disk and booted into Bart PE fine, ran Stinger by McAfee and found no viruses. I also ran a chkdsk on the C: drive, which I could explore in Bart PE using the built-in GUI interface or a command prompt. Yet no matter what I do, the computer still restarts before I see the login screen. The same happens when trying to boot to Safe Mode, with or without any of the options. I don't know what is going on, but I really need a file off the computer and in Bart PE, there doesn't seem to be much way other than over the network to transfer a file. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

try to load your hd in other computer,if it works..maybe the problem is some hardware's problem..maybe some loosen..and something like this...

I assume you booted from your cd. There are 2 repair options when you boot from the cd. Usually the repair console option appears with the install option. Most say do not use the repair console. If you choose install you normally get 2 more options --- One to install and one to repair.

Im sorry, but I don't understand what you are suggesting Michael. When should I press those keys.

@geekster:
I don't have that second repair option. Just an install over another "detected operating system" and recovery console. I tried rebuilding the boot with bootcfg at the recovery console, but I got nowhere. What should I do?

Please dont listen to MichaelStanding , He continually post wrong info as a joke. Im going to request that the moderators ban him because im not laughing.

MichaelStanding said:
They clearly have no idea. What you need to do is repeatedly press home and end at the same time. See whats happening is dos is rejecting the xp. And hence the gigabytes are getting lost through the modems dll files. This should fix your problem.

Again?! WOW! What is this guy smoking?!

-Dan The Man

sbressler said:
I have an HP zd7140 (zd7000 series). Just a few days ago, when I booted it up, it restarted after I saw the scrolling blue bar with the XP logo (have had SP2 for a while). The screen goes black, then goes between a few different colors (black | teal | off | black | restart). I made a Bart PE boot disk and booted into Bart PE fine, ran Stinger by McAfee and found no viruses. I also ran a chkdsk on the C: drive, which I could explore in Bart PE using the built-in GUI interface or a command prompt. Yet no matter what I do, the computer still restarts before I see the login screen. The same happens when trying to boot to Safe Mode, with or without any of the options. I don't know what is going on, but I really need a file off the computer and in Bart PE, there doesn't seem to be much way other than over the network to transfer a file. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

OK, I've had this same problem at one point. There's an option in your BIOS that is set to automatically shut down your computer when it reaches a certain temperature. Go into your BIOS and disable this. In my BIOS, it is listed under PC Health and Status.

-Dan The Man

Now to answer your question. I was hacked about six months ago. Windows would not boot. I followed advice from a forum that fixed it. heres what I did. I put my xp disc in. I booted up and tapped the delete key to enter bios setup. In the bios I selected my cd as first boot device. A xp instal screen appeared after the cd loaded. It gave two options 1-install 2- repair using repair console. I chose 1 to install. The next screen gave 2 more options 1--install 2-- repair install . I chose repair install so i wouldnt lose my files. If you dont see these options , I dont know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom