MAC vs PC - What do you Prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by mac_mogul
I agree, let people use what they like, or what they can afford. It's no lie that Macs are WAY more expensive than PC's.

this is not a good thing

With PC's, you can go to your local Wal-Mart and pick up an eMachines, an external/internal DVD/CD-RW, about $300 dollars worth of games, game controllers, graphics cards, speakers, etc, for less than $2000.

yeah, but why bother, if youre going for cheap, just buy cheaper parts off of pricewatch.com, and build your own that is twice as fast, emachines are a poor, poor example of a PC, thats like looking at KIA and saying "all american made cars are crap", youre taking the bottom-of-the-line bargan basement computer and touting it like its the best that PCs have to offer, what you have to think about is the fact that there are 4 billion companies (exageration, but you get the idea) out there that are wanting to get a piece of the PC hardware/periferals pie (cuz its a big juicy pie) and MS has to try and encode all of their software to be compatible with all of these companies hardware and peripherals, Macs on the other hand have only apple-licensed hardware and peripherals, which makes the compatability issue easier to deal with, since all companies that want to make Mac hardware or peripherals have to come to Apple and ask for permission first

With Macs, you have to order from licensed resellers, or go to an official Apple store. You have to pick out your machine, decide on if you want it customized with more RAM, or a certain size of HD, then you can buy the extras(if you have any money left, because at best, the computer will run you about $800[and that's for a bottom line eMac]) like speakers, or games, or other peripherals.

you have to do all of the same things with a PC, except that any1 can sell PCs but, i still cant understand where youre going with this

But because of this tedious process, you feel a bit more "special" about your choice of computer, knowing that when you go to wal mart, no one says, "congratulations on your computer purchase!" or, "hey, you got the new model!" you only get a," thank you for shopping at wal mart"

but see, again how many people buy their computers at wal-mart? i dont know any1 that would, i mean im sure that some people do, because all they do is get online or do word processing, but any1 that is serious about multimedia, gaming, or anything other than basic typing is going to go to best buy or circuit city and spend $3000 on a good machine, or just build their own, thats what i do, and from my experience of having sold computers at best buy for over a year, most people that buy PCs arent cheapo's

emachines are a poor, poor example of a PC, thats like looking at KIA and saying "all american made cars are crap"

Just for the record... Kia's are NOT American cars!!!!!!!!! Some might be built in America (like Toyota/Honda), but they are Asian cars, not American. As a GM man I had to get that off my chest... hehe-- continue on topic! :)

rofl, sorry about that, how about this thats like looking at the PT cruiser and saying all dodge/plymouth cars are crap

I am an avid user of linux, and for the most part most linux distros are only available to PCs. MACs are proprietary, which means that basically only one company sells and builds them, and they have no other competitors selling MACs. Which allows them to price gouge. PCs have many people making all sorts of different parts for computers, which means it's not propietary and you can interchange parts super easily. Because there is competition, companies compete to make better and better parts and try to keep their prices on the lower end. E.g. AMD vs Intel or ATI vs. Nvidia etc....

zactly, and what if you have a problem with your Mac? you cant just go to besy buy or circuit city and buy a mac part, you have to order it and wait, unless youre lucky enough to have a Mac store in your city, which i live in Wichita, KS which has a population of over 550,000 people and there isnt a mac store, so they are very exclusive

dethangel said:
which i live in Wichita, KS which has a population of over 550,000 people and there isnt a mac store, so they are very exclusive

well, I think that Apple stores are pretty much put in places where they get large orders for their products. If there is not much of a demand for Macs in Wichita, Kansas, then dont expect an Apple store.

I personally have about 5 Apple stores within about 2 hour drive, so, I guess they arent as exclusive as you think they are :)

where do you live? california? if so, of course they will be there, that is like the technology center of the US, but in places like Wichita, where there are over 50 PC stores, it would just suck to have to order all of your parts for your Mac, when your friends with PCs are never more than 10 minutes form a PC store, lol

Apple Stores are in all 50 states, they are not all necessarily 'Apple Stores' but they are registered and licensed by Apple. And they are not 'exclusive'. Everyone is welcome in an Apple store. I think you were looking for 'few-and-far-between'.

Besides, this thread has gotten WAY off topic and I think it should be closed.

dethangel said:
where do you live? california? if so, of course they will be there, that is like the technology center of the US, but in places like Wichita, where there are over 50 PC stores, it would just suck to have to order all of your parts for your Mac, when your friends with PCs are never more than 10 minutes form a PC store, lol

Well, dont blame me for you living in the middle of freeking nowhere! (just kidding man)

I would suggest just doing what most people do- order from Apple online and get a custom config. That is the best way of doing it. Plus, shipping is really cheap (Im not sure if the free shipping gimmick is still going), so you arent really paying much more for online than in person.

:(
i didnt meant a war.
i am a mac fan and pc as well, but thast was a opinion, i dont mean a war, i heard your opnions guys and i learn from you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom