Building a amd64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sui

Daemon Poster
I'm looking for some opinions on this, I plan on reusing some peices of my old dead computer to keep the price within my budget. My problem is agp or pci-e.

Price ends up about the same, so its not a factor. Sli isn't a factor either, can't afford it.
1. Pci-e and amd are still sort of in its infancy. While the agp 939 boards have been around long enough to work out the bugs and come out with some nice mbs.
2. Pci-e boards that are out seem to be 3 pci slots, 1 will have to be used for a wifi card, leaving me with 2 slots for future use.
3. Agp is being replaced by Pci-e, so apg cards are slowly going away, and will probably be phased out before I replace the vid card.
4. Pci-e is the winner in performance for price area.
5. I don't really like the few pci-e motherboards that I've found

It all ends up pretty equil in my opinion, so other then flipping a coin I'm not sure how to decide. I wanted to go with a 939 setup so I can get the smaller .09 nm die size, mainly for the lower heat. So tell me what you guys think.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050103/index.html

woops this was suppose to be in the Overclocking, PC Building & Case Mod section. ohh well

as far as SLI and PCI-E goes, they seem to work very well. so far I haven't seen any problems with Athlon 64's and PCI-E, and there are plenty of people on this forum with that combo

not all socket 939 CPU's are 90nm, but all 90nm Athlon 64's are in socket 939
you'll have to look for one with a winchester core

what's your budget on all of this?

Hmm imo pci-e is too soon, they are still adding to it.. if ur planning on keeping thise computer for a pretty long time, then get pci-e ..dont get me wrong, agp isnt gona be obsolete 2moro... but at the moment pcie looks to be the future... seeing as ur using old bits from u last comp, id go AGP just because ur only buying half the comp so it wont matter if agp goes out because u didnt blow a huge wad on this comp.. if u were buyin it all new id say get Pcie.. if i had a few more 100 in my budget, i woulda gone pcie

they're not really adding anything to PCI-E appart from better SLI drivers. as I said, SLI works well as of now, but better drivers would mean even better performance.

I'm not saying get SLI, but PCI-E is almost guaranteed for better upgradability. plus a lot of the newer cards like the Geforce 6600 and X700 are now native to PCI-E. they perform best in PCI-E, and if in AGP (the X700 is not in AGP though), they are also more expensive.

I would recommend something like a Geforce 6600 in PCI-E, or if you're going 6800's, get AGP if you're not going SLI or get PCI-E if you want to upgrade later to SLI with another 6800.

some good boards are:
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe (2 x PCI-E 16x)
Gigabyte K8NF-9 (1 x PCI-E 16x)
Abit AV8 3rd eye (AGP 8x)

Budget on this is about 500 dollors, for motherboard, cpu, ram, and video. I took the vid out of my old computer and gave it to my parents comp, so thats the reason theres no difference in cost between the two. No doubts of the performance of pci-e SLI, but the cost drives it out of my range. Gigabyte K8NF-9 with 6600 would be the setup I'd be going with for PCI-E, Abit AV8 and an ati 9800 would be agp.

The only constant in my future is the constant state of change, so planning ahead just never seems to work for me.

Budget is actually 600, but what suprizes will pop up out of that old comp, I wasn't around when it died, and I havn't performed an autopsy so to speak.

thats true, id say b4 u set a budget or even think about it, test all the parts

im thinking of building an amd pc from scratch and im wondering if i should go with pci ex or agp?? im probably gonna keep this baby for awhile(ie... 3--4years?)

Well old computer doesn't respond to the power pins, so I'm thinking its one of 4 things, burned p/s (2 yr old 600w), burned m/b (BX mb so its like 4-5 years old?), those idiots that were using my computer without my permission downloaded a virus that some how trashed the bios on the mb, the dex cool(death cool) turned acidic and burned into the northbridge shorting it out. I had water cooled the northbridge because I had broke the heatsink while cleaning it, and couldn't find something that would fit.

The vid,hd(7 yr old wd 6gig) I pulled works, the cdrom was broke( I killed it 13-14 months ago), the ram was pc-133 but was damaged and could only hold 66mhz, ohh and the mouse works. Other things laying around, a 3 month old cdrw, a 1 1/2 year old atx case with cheesy p/s thats never been used.

as far as not tested items in that old computer, sound card, networking card, adaptec udma 133 card, all of which get replaced by any new motherboards.

So worse case senerio new p/s, and maybe new hd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom