How to open a RAID in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtile

Fully Optimized
As you can see below I just added 40gb x2 in a RAID 0. It is setup in the BIOS but I can't get it to show up in Windows. Do I need Drivers?
Where can I get them from (I have a Promise RAID)?
Is it possible to get windows to install on the RAID if the drivers are installed on a different Windows install?
(It's on the 120GB)

Thanks

i'm not educated with this cause id on't have any..but i know when i install window's..the first thing it says on the bottom is press F6 to install raid drivers.....there's probably a better way...just wait for a responce other than me

you need drivers for XP to recognise SATA drives, the RAID has nothing to do with them not being detected

put in the XP CD on boot, and when it says "press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver"
press F6 there, and put in the disk you got with your SATA drives (if you didn't get one, you can download the drivers from here and put them on a floppy) and let them install

I'm using ATA. They show up in the hardware tab. But there is no access. I want to do it in Winows because I do not have a floppy drive.

oh I see, they must not be formatted as a single drive yet. go to start, run and type diskmgmt.msc
then you should see one empty partition; right click and click format

I got the drives formatted. There is also a drive letter.
THANKS A LOT !!!!
Do you know how to get Windows to install on this? Now it won't let me use the RAID. I tried doing it within windows... doesn't work.
Do you know of any way that I can do this without having a floppy?

Maybe if you check the mobo website for raid drivers and download them.

Also, you can manage arrays using the "Disk Management" utility that can be found in Admin Tools.

are you using the Promise old "2.x" card or the new "3.3x" card? the hardware revision is right on the card itself.

the only reason i mentioned the promise card revisions was due to a problem with the early cards (2.x) and RAID 0. mirroring worked fine.....either way, you may want to reconsider a RAID 0. I really don't see any point to it. there is no redundancy and if you lose one of the drives (if you have just 2 drives) then you can't recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom