Ripoff Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forchunet

In Runtime
I was walking down the downtown central of my City when I saw a couple of PC shops. I came in to compare prices and stuff to newegg. What shocked me most was the outrageous prices these shops charged for Custom PC's

One shop in particular, the guy was selling custom built computers for $2000+ Now to the uninformed consumer that might sound ok but for most of us here thats an outrage considering what he was offering.

Generic Mobo (PcChips, Jetway, Epox)
AMD 1800+
Nvidia 5200 or ATI 9200se
5.1 Sound Card
Generic 1GB PC2700 (Wintek?, A-Data?)
56k Modem Card
Ethernet Card

Now that just what was in one bundle that I saw him sell to this family. I couldnt help but think of how much a rip off it was. Granted they did get some 5.1 Logitech speakers, a nifty case, a 17 inch monitor, and Keyboard/Mouse. However for $2000 I could have made their comp way better. Im thinking this guy got atleast a $700 Profit.

Now for actual point of this thread. Anybody want me to build them a computer for $50, you buy the parts though.

LOL, j/k j/k Use this as a headsup if your planning to get a custom computer anytime soon.

Man, thats a ripp off alright, but its just like any computer company. I hate on Dell commercials when they say "With Intel Hyperthreading technology". I mean what company dont offer that....

Alot of small computer shops will overcharge you, simply because;

1) they are a small store, maybe the ONLY one of there kind. They don't get the huge discounts that Newegg or Fry's Electronics gets. With a smal company you have to sell AT LEAST a certain amount of goods per quarter to be validated for big company discounts. Also they have to make a certain % of profit to stay on top of the water, they may still be paying off trust money if they are newer, and if it's an older place it may be closee to bankrupcy.

2) The owners may not advertise towards young guys like us who know where the deals are at. You said he sold a family a computer, i'm willing to bet he sells alot of computers to families, and not so many to youngsters or single people living on a budget. chances are if you are married and have kids and out shopping for a computer, you are not stone broke or behind on your bills. he knows these people have lives and don't have alot of time to get what they want, so for a small price increase (to someone who has money anyways) he cna give it to them then and there ready to go.

Just my thinkings...

Good for the computer store. He needs his livelyhood. If he can feed himelf, and his family off of other people's ignorance, good for him, sux for the people who didn't do any research before they blew $2000 on the PC which probably isn't going to be used for anything except for word processing and light internet use.

Dont be dissing wintek stuff. I got some PC133 32 x 4 ram in my cd player.

And, yeah that is a ripoff. Worse than futureshop.

Yup.. my parents payed 3000 for this about a year ago:
it was a hp
williamette 2.53 GHZ
512 pc2300 ddr333 generic
Gforce 4 mmx440
15" LCD
Wireless Mouse n Keyboard combo
120gb samsung

my comp cost 1.8 and it is about 3times betterr

VIII said:
Yup.. my parents payed 3000 for this about a year ago:
it was a hp
williamette 2.53 GHZ
512 pc2300 ddr333 generic
Gforce 4 mmx440
15" LCD
Wireless Mouse n Keyboard combo
120gb samsung

my comp cost 1.8 and it is about 3times betterr

tha's not a bad computer...but the price is a bit stiffy....

i forget how long ago this was...but it was when p3 350mhz were crazy

p3 350
generic mobo (i think...to long ago)
128 pc 100 ram (i want to say 133 though)
17 inch monitor
voodoo banchee
microsoft keyboard
32x cd rom
soundblaster live

it was i think 3200 canadian....it was my buddies....we played so much test drive 6 when it came it out was crazy!!!

yyeeep, the good old days when 2000+ got you a 333mhz with 4mb of graphics. and on top of that, you get a free monitor with BUILD IN SPEAKERS! (That was a good thing...)

heh, my dad came home one day years and year ago with a 286 processor and 40mb of hard drive....he said to my mom that we'd never need anything better...........lol.
heh, the damn thing is still runnin in top shape too!!!!!

CntdwnToExtn said:
heh, my dad came home one day years and year ago with a 286 processor and 40mb of hard drive....he said to my mom that we'd never need anything better...........lol.
heh, the damn thing is still runnin in top shape too!!!!!

Heh, my friend still uses an old 486 @ school, but the power is broken so it always has to be plugged in so people always pull it out on purpose, its quite funny but i cant laugh coz im his friend :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom