ide to sata is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlr

In Runtime
hi there im thinking of bying a second hardrive and am thinking of going with sata,the only problem is i can only afford to go with a 7200rpm sata drive would it be worth getting a 7200 sata or would there not realy be any difference in speed from an ide. the reason im asking this is because i can get a 200gb ide drive for half of what i can get 10krpm 36 gb sata for

well i use SATA i got the 2 drive seperatly and wen i put the 1st one in i didnt really notice any difference over IDE but now i have 2 in RAID0 its alot faster for bootin and copying files. If ur in real need of more space then get a bigger drive, if ur not get the 10k one. If ur very airflow concerned i would recommend SATA for the tiny cables but if it doesnt bother u i dont think it really matters. The other thing i would mention i that SATA300 is coming out soon so if u do get a SATA drive it maybe out dated very soon, i dont know what about backward compatablitly between the 150 and 300 though

Is there some kind of speed comparison chart?

Also, the difference between SATA 150 and 300 would be what?

SATA drives are up to 4 times faster than conventional ATA drives.

I have 2 SeaGate SATA 120GB 7200's in my home system as primaries, and I love them. Got them for $90 each. Installed and run without a hitch, stay cool and are lightning fast.

Yes it's very worth it to upgrade to it.

The sata and ide 7200 drives are basically the same price.

ATA133 is 133mb/sec whereas SATA is 150mb/sec and just now noticed that he said SATA 300's will be coming out...craziness...got any info on that anywhere? That'd definitely speed file copying

Plus you can have more drives if you start filling up SATA and the IDEs

Got an 80gb SATA myself for like $62 or so, definitely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom