CPU fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUCEG

Baseband Member
Ummm i have a question about a cpu concern... my friend just got a dell for christmas and he is planning on putting in in a diff case...one prob tho....the ppl from dell rigged up the cpu coolin with wut looks like a 90 mm fan in the back of the comp and they took a shrouud looking thing and rigged it up to where it goes around the cpu heatsing and the fan blows out...thats the cooling for the cpu.....what is he supposed to do about cooling the cpu if he puts it in a new case?? the new case has 4 fans in the front blowing in and 2 in the back blowing out....but i think he will still need some kooling for the cpu i cant find a fan that will go right onto the heatsink.........its a big dumb looking heatsink too ive never seen anything so big and stupid in my life lol....can u guys suggest sumtinhng i should do about kooling it?

Just get a venus 12 or something for the CPU, screw dell's cooling. And, friends dont let friends get dells :/

i know i tried to tell him and his parents to get the parts and let me build him a custom comp....but they no listen...

what do u mean not doing it?.....hes putting it in a raidmax case b/c it has a window kit and wutnot....but about the venus 12.....its for an amd athlon 64 processor the dell has a pent 4
and also how do u take off the heatsink thats on there w/o messing up the processor itself? ive never taken one off before thats why i was kinda looking for i fan i could mount on the existing heatsing

I have to admit, you are coming up with some pretty funny shit, but this one makes me laugh because I have a friend who did something pretty close to this. He has a wall mounted AC unit that is close to ground level. He has his comp by it with the side pannel off and turns on the AC to keep it cool :D

It is getto as hell! Funny shit. But he is high all the time so he doesn't give a shit.

Michael i appreciate the advice....but wouldnt do him much good if he got a window kit and took the side p[annel off.....he just needs to find a way to put a fan on the existing heatsink....thjats all

Look, moding a Dell system is like getting some brown paint and saying you're gonna make donkeys into horses by painting them.

Dell has proprietary mobos with a totally idiotic and ancient CPU fan setup.

Your friend's best bet is to either stick with the system as-is and accept it as Dell...or ditch the cooling duct (even if that means buying a new mobo with its own CPU cooler brackets).

There's not really that much else he can do. If he ditches the cooling duct, that P4 is gonna need something beefy to cool it, and I bet the proprietary mobo doesn't have the proper mounting hardware for the CPU.

If all he wants is a window, why not just have him mod the Dell case with a window kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom