I tightened up my cas latency and reconfirgured my settings....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothin doin :(

It errors within a minute at 250MHz, the best I could get was:

DDR486 - 243MHz - 2.5-3-3-7-1T 2.8v
and it ran Prime95 4 hours 26 minutes before erroring which isn't good enough for me. Needs to last a BARE MINIMUM of 6 but preferably 12 hours.

It MAY run at 240, but I know at this point it's my chipset voltage that's holding me back. I need 1.8-2.0 volts so that if I do get any errors or instability it'll be the RAM that's causing it, due to it's timings and not the motherboard.

So right now 235 is what I know is stable, haven't tested 240 although I think it'll be stable.

235 is prime stable for 12 hours....I have my settings at 250*10 with my timings at 3-3-3-5 with it stable at 8 hours on prime so far.

mike11973 said:
235 is prime stable for 12 hours....I have my settings at 250*10 with my timings at 3-3-3-5 with it stable at 8 hours on prime so far.

with a CAS of 3 do you get significantly slower times in say super pi or scores in a bench? Just wondering bcuz i have next to no loss going from 2 to 2.5 and everyone always is liek "2.5 sucks @ss!!! your ram is crap!" and yah...n00bs lmao.

I haven't done any tests to specifically confirm it 4W4K3 but from what I gathered the differences between those are small.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

Check that link out and scroll ALLL the way to the bottom with some guy named Jess talking about the various RAM settings.

For Cas latency it specifically says "Slight Influence on Bandwidth / Large Influence on Stability."

And on the things that say slight influence on bandwidth I noticed like.....a 30mb drop out of the 3700mb/sec so they are pretty much correct in that sense.

Nubius said:
For Cas latency it specifically says "Slight Influence on Bandwidth / Large Influence on Stability."

And on the things that say slight influence on bandwidth I noticed like.....a 30mb drop out of the 3700mb/sec so they are pretty much correct in that sense.

that makes sense on the stability part lol...my PC won't even boot on CAS2 on 233MHz. It's kind of an all or nothing for me. I think i noticed a ~20mb drop in bandwidth going from 200MHz 2-2-2-5 to 200Mz 2.5-2-2-5, not even noticable in gaming or anything. Max MHz at CAS2 is 215MHz so it's like would i rather have 215MHz 2-2-2-5 or 233MHz 2.5-2-2-5...i think the 18MHz increase in MHz easily covers up for the bandwidth lost my loosening timings. it's that whole trade off thing you were talking about earlier. I wish i would have saved my Sandra scores from my last reformat...i think i was over 3600MBs and one of my friends was on the same settings and was barely hitting 3500MB's lol. His CPU was bottleneck i believe...

Yeah, well those people that say 'CRAP RAM! OMG 2.5CL' you just gotta brush off because you know one sandra bench would shut them up.

I'm benching 240x10.5 1:1 of course, 1.7v chipset, 2.8v dimm, 2.5-3-3-7 timings

I really don't think it'll go tighter than that, meaning 2.5-3-2-7 or 2.5-2-3-7 just won't work, especially because I just want to make sure 240 is perfectly stable so I have somewhere to start off at that I KNOW is stable, so when I do that voltage mod I can start at 240 and resume climbing.

lol I'll have to get you a screen shot of my fan speeds 4W4K3, I saw a fan hitting 8600 RPM and I was like 'what the hell is that?' forgot about that NB cooler, of course I can't hear it over my other fans, but that things insane.

My thermal probe fell off the bottom of the heatsink, though so I think I'm going to tape it to the bottom edge of the NB heatsink to get decent approximate temps.

Even with this board it records the same -48C, 48C, and 127C trying to find the NB temp diode :(

I'm using this BIOS BTW:

D25 CPC-ON ver. 3.0.00 Fire Bpl 3.19 26.08.04

Although I can't remember if I tried CPC-ON or OFF lol :p

Your 233 has to beat out my 240 though cause you have it at 2.5-2-2-5 and those middle 2's really increase bandwidth...

Do you suppose it's the RAM that's limiting you from going above 233 though? That's the only thing I can think of since I'm getting 240 with NB voltage only at 1.7

I don't know if I'm quite daring enough to try those really tight timings you got though.

Nubius said:
Your 233 has to beat out my 240 though cause you have it at 2.5-2-2-5 and those middle 2's really increase bandwidth...

Do you suppose it's the RAM that's limiting you from going above 233 though? That's the only thing I can think of since I'm getting 240 with NB voltage only at 1.7

I don't know if I'm quite daring enough to try those really tight timings you got though.

i don't think it's the RAM, cuz i can memtest forever at 240 2.5-2-2-5 2.65v and get 0 errors. But the second i load Windows it will crap out on me. I'm positive it's the PSU, i go down to 11.78v under load on the 12v rail, and that can't be good. Simply booting and running 240MHz is no problem...it will run all day, but the second i start pulling power in like gaming or a bench my PSU freaks out and will cut my CPU voltage like 0.3v and it usually freezes.

The lowest i can get my NB is 1.8v lmao, cuz of the way i did my volt mod...so i might be able to do 233FSB on 1.6-1.7v i'm not really sure.

Ahh yeah, I always forget that you've told me probably a dozen times now that your PSU is givin you problems when it comes to extreme voltage drains. :p

I'm thinkin I want to put my NB at 1.4 then mod it up to 1.7, so 1.7 will be my lowest and 2.0 even will be my highest, don't really feel comfortable going above that.

EDIT: BAH! Prime95 just errored at 2 hours 23 minutes. That doesn't make sense! It went 4 and a half hours at 243MHz and then errors 2 hours sooner at 240!?! Grrrr!!

Aright, at 235MHz with 2-3-3-6 timings I got 3579/3343

With 2.5-2-2-7 timings also at 235MHz I got 3594/3338

An increase on the Int Buff'd but a slight decrease on the Float Buff'd....sooooo that leads me to believe that ras to cas an ras prelay timings don't have as much of an impact on bandwidth as I suspected.

They of course do going from 3 to 4, but it's basically nothing going from 2 to 3....atleast for me anyway, how about you 4W4K3?

Nubius I like the link you posted with the info on the ram. I am pretty happy where I am at with my current settings finally and will make my settings in my sig my daily use settings. I stopped prime after over 8 hours without any errors so I feel good about it. I just tested the bandwith on sisoft sandra and got 3755/3485.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom