Trying to cool my CPU more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yadgadge

Baseband Member
I've been looking into getting a new case lately, because my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ is idling in windows at about 62C, I have a 3-4year old Antec Full tower ATX case, no side panels, 4 case fans 80mm I believe (2 front intake, 2 rear outtake), and a Thermaltake Polo 735 CPU Heatsink.

My Case temp is about 29C currently and it is fairly cool in my room atm, when summer comes around I'm worried it won't keep cool enough anymore, recently my Computer wouldn't start up cause the CPU was getting too hot when windows tried to load, I opened it up and there was alot of dust buildup on my Heatsink, I cleaned it off, and also removed, cleaned, put in new thermal paste, and reset the HS. But my temps are still 62C idle, and get up to 69C under heavy load.

I was wondering if it is likely my case, or my Heatsink, or both. I just bought the Polo 735 with my Mobo and Processor a few months ago, and I read a review about it recently which gave it a good rating, so I don't see how it could be that. Would Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste help alot?

If I do end up getting a new case it would be around 100$. I was looking at this case, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Does a side panel fan help alot? I'd like to get my CPU down to like 40C which I have seen others say they get. Or could the problem just be that the CPU itself is running hotter than it should? Thanks for any help.

BTW my Thermaltake Polo 735 is currently running at full speed (5500RPM), and it does get slightly hotter when I turn the fan down.

That Thermaltake case is good. If you get it, i suggest replacing those 120mm fans, with some high out-put 120mm fans. Thats Thermaltake CPU should be good. But if its just not doing good enough, i suggest getting a Vantec Tornado.

I dont think its your heatsink or cpufan, those arent bad at all. It can be your case, maybe weak 80mm stock fans. Either way, that Thermaltake is a better case.

Another question here really quick, there seems to be alot of dust floating around in my room, since there gets dust build-up pretty fast in my computer, I was thinking maybe there's a way to install a filter at the intake fans, much like a air-purifier or something, that I can take out and clean easily. Anyone ever done this or has reccomendations for what to use as a filter?

I had some questions on the same line so I thought I would just join this thread oposed to starting a new one.

I am getting this case without the side window.

It has spots for 4 80mm fans, 2 front and 2 back. Do you think this will be enough or should I add additional cooling?

I'll be running:
480W PSU
P4 3.4
BFG 6800GT OC
1GB RAM
74GB Raptor
250GB SATA 7200 HDD

That should be all that matters.

I had some questions on the same line so I thought I would just join this thread oposed to starting a new one.
Thats called thread Hijacking. As to not offend the starter of this thread you should just create your own unless he gets the answers he needs and doesn't care.

AS5 wouldn't help 'ALOT' , the most you would see is MAYBE a 5C drop and even that isn't necessarily that normal.

It takes a couple weeks for the AS5 to fully set in also.

As far as filters go, if you could get a normal hepa-filter for cheap from wal-mart or something along those lines that might help.

You definitely should be getting some better temperatures, but if you've resat your heatsink and whatnot then I suppose options are wearing thin =/

Would just have to wait and see how well the new case brings down temps and work from there

Well, my CPU is getting too hot again under windows loading and it just shuts itself off. My Heatsink isn't even warm to the touch, it's cold, but of course it doesn't get up and running very long, but it never got warm that I can remember, like it isn't even dispersing heat off the CPU. Anyone else running an Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754 and having cooling problems? Or anyone else have a Thermaltake Polo 735 and having issues? Could their packaged thermal paste be that bad?

I'm going to have to improve cooling somehow because I can't start up my computer without doing so.. But I don't want to buy a new case and still have problems, or a new Heatsink and have problems, I was looking at water-cooling, would that lower my temps alot more than anything else? Well.. time to weigh my options.

Yeah I know your intent wasn't bad idiotec, but it's just to ensure that the thread owner gets his answer he's looking for and doesn't get mad if someone were to answer yours instead :)

Yad - The stock heatsink should have had a thermal pad on it which means you don't put any thermal paste on the CPU.

You should make sure you didn't accidentally put thermal paste on top of the already existing thermal pad.

If you did get some 99% isopropyl alcohol if you can, use a plastic thin edge like a credit card and scrape off the thermal pad and reapply paste.

I didn't get a stock Heatsink, I bought an OEM 3000+ and then purchased a Thermaltake Polo 735 Heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom