OS and Partitioning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of these options?

Which one of these 6 options do you think is best for partitioning? Thanks! 60GB 7200RPM... Commas denote a new partition:

1. 10GB OS/Apps/Programs, 2GB Swap File, 48GB Data/Media

2. 5GB OS, 2GB Swap File, 53GB Apps/Programs/Data/Media

3. 12GB OS/Apps/Programs/Swap File, 48GB Data/Media

4. 7GB OS/Swap File, 53GB Apps/Programs/Data/Media

5. 10GB OS/Apps/Programs, 50GB Swap File/Data/Media

6. 5GB OS, 55GB Swap File/Apps/Programs/Data/Media

On my comp I have two hard drives a 10gb and a 40gb, my 10 is for linux only, thus leaving my 40gb behind. I have a 3 gb partition for OS, 20 gb for games and such and 17gb for mp3's etc.... This makes it convenient, so if I put in a new OS I don't have to reinstall my games and download mp3 all over again. You just have to think about what you want. How many gigs of mp3's will you collect, how many games will you install etc....? I separated my mp3's and videos onto one partition because they quite often get fragmented easily, especially with kazaa, thus my OS and games don't slow down as much.

if it is a new computer with all the software installed and configured i would leave the partitions alone. the hard disk will probably be partitioned for you already. if you decide to do it from scratch make sure you get all the device drivers ready.

when you get the new pc tell us how the partitions are set up. you probably wont have to remake any partitions. you don't need a separate partition for the swap file because since the swap file is on the same physical hard disk you are not making the computer run any faster. the swap file can be on the same partition as the OS. if you dont get rid of the old hard disk you can use it to save data on.

i dont agree with dethangel suggesting you to "install your OS in the 13GB and use the 60GB for data" because your older hard disk will make your computer run much slower than using the new hard disk for your operating system.

Yes, it will be brand new, with the OS already installed.... but with only one 60GB partition. I was planning on reformatting, and setting up the partitions. Which choice 1-6 do you like the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom