My computer wont shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
For a long time now, I have not been able to shut down my computer. No software problem, this I know, and I can tell you why. I go to Start, Shut Down, and it goes through the motions of shutting down and then it shuts down. After about 2 or 3 seconds, it turns back on. I have heard that my power switch is not properly connected, but I turned it around and still the same problem. Nothing wrong with my computer, except the fact that I cannot turn it off!

Had the same problem. Do you have XP with SP2 installed? If so, run the SP2 setup again and it should solve your problem. It worked for me.

When I have to turn it off, I hit the switch on the power supply. I use XP SP1, I wont go to SP2... I have my convictions.b

I dont like it, all of my experiences with it (and I have alot) have all been bad. I have fixed many problems by simply rolling back to SP1.

I know it isnt a great solution, but i thought it might be worth mentioning.

with my pc if i dont switch the pc off by the psu/plug straight away, my cmos gets cleared so I have to turn it off by the psu, what i do is leave my pc on for the whole time im at home or awake, and it doesnt bug me having to turn it off by the psu.

Him said:
I have heard that my power switch is not properly connected, but I turned it around and still the same problem.

Power switch can be connected either way round at the motherboard, so don't worry about that.
However, it could be a problem with the power switch button on the front of the case.

If you want to eliminate this as a possibility, do the following :

1. Switch off at mains

2. open up pc & trace the 2 wires coming from the power switch on the case to the mobo & disconnect the 2 pin connector from the mobo.

3. switch mains power back on & turn the switch on the back of the PSU on.

4. To start the computer up, you will have to bridge the 2 pins on the mobo that the power switch used to connect to. To do this, use a flat bladed screw driver & briefly just touch the 2 pins simultaneously. Be careful obviously, not to bridge anything else accidentally.

Boot up & shutdown as normal. If everything now functioning normally, you know that the power switch is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom