PCI-Express vs. AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkon

In Runtime
About a week ago I thought my video card died (ATI 9800 PRO). When I would try to boot the monitor would blink while the rest of the computer would boot. Since it was still under warenty I sent it back to newegg with out much thought. While it was being sent out I tried to put one of my older cards in (BFG 5700). It did the exact same thing. I am guessing my AGP slot has died. As it turns out newegg has given me refund instead of replacing my card. My question which would you guys get the 9800 PRO (AGP) or the x600 XT (PCI-E) (or something else). Keep in mind that I have to buy a new motherboard anyway. The refund is $197.00 I can go a little more than that but I do not want to spend $300+ on a video card. My second qustion is what is the difference between PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x1. And finally why the hell are there so few PCI-E/Intel 478 motherboards on newegg ?

PCIe 1x will soon be replacing the standard PCI card slot, it's basically a slower counterpart of PCIe 16x, but it boasts more bandwidth than standard PCI. Any video card you are looking for will be PCIe 16x, not 1x.

PCIe is a fairly new technology, and due to the fact that AGP is still quite adaquent for today's graphics demanding applications, we haven't yet seen a very large leap from AGP to PCIe. For this reason, there are not very many PCIe manufactured boards at the moment.

As for your original question, the 9800 Pro is the superior card to the x600 which has quite dissapointing performance in my opinion, and the 9800 Pro will be able to handle most games at pretty good settings for a pretty good price.

If you have a bit more money to spend, and I don't think it's a very big price gap between the two, I would scratch the 9800 Pro and get a 6600GT, prefferably on PCIe interface due to it being it's native inferface, but AGP is still fine if that's an issue to you.

Doesn't the AGP version of the 6600 GT that XFX puts out have the same specs as the typical PCI-E version of 6600 GT? Did I read the specs wrong or are these guys at XFX overclocking the AGP unit?

looks good.

my opinion i wouldn't buy pci express yet cause there really isn't a game out there that will take full advantage...agp can still run the games good.
if your doing a bunch of design and stuff like that, i've heard pci express is good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom