Graphic card & a new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiegirl

Baseband Member
HI I wonder if anyone can help me.

My motherbord died it was an asus p4s533-vm I had a Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128mb DDR graphic card never had an issue with it.

My motherboard died and I had to call a guy to replace it (he the one that old me the motherboard died) he replace it and tells me I wont need the graphic card as the one on the mother board well be good enough for games. Oh my new motherboard is ASRock P4S61.

I tell him that my sims 2 game is fairly full on but he assured me that it be ok.

He left and I check the sims 2 game and it work but graphic were poor so it needs the garphic card.

So I open everything up and says on the AGP slot "dont use a 3.3v AGP" ok so I check mine and I cant see anywhere that it says it only a 3.3V (or 2x) so I pop the grahic card in.

Then the computer would not load at all!!! no matter what I do. Take the card out the computer works.

It wont even load trys to and then stops. So my question is can this graphic card work on this motherboard or not?

Thanks so much for you help and sorry for the long post.

Cheers :D

p.s I know nothing about hardware really!

your motherboard only supports AGP 2x?
I've never seen a Pentium 4 motherboard only support AGP 2x

anyway, the Radeon 9200 is an AGP 8x card. sometimes it can work in AGP 4x, but it cannot run in AGP 2x. this is because of the different speeds and voltages

and don't let him tell you that onboard video is good enough for games. it may be, if you were talking about flash games, but not nearly good enough for fast 3d rendering

Her motherboard supports 8X AGP Link to her mobo specs.
Maybe you need to disable your onboard graphics before shutting down and installing your Radeon, I don't know if that would cause those kind of problems, since I've never dealt with onboard graphics before.

Thank you so much I cant believe I never thought of that. (doh!)

I give it ago and let you know if it works.

Another quick question, I ask my friend who knows more about programing then hardware about putting the graphics card in.

As he put it in before, anyway he told me to do this:

Put the graphic card in and hook the monitor up to the graphic card. Go to bios and change the info there for the computer to read the AGP slot. Then reboot the computer and put the monitor cord to the orginal slot, then install the info from the cd.

Does this sounds right, I really dont want to wreak anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom