Looking into x800... help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I'm an ATI guy. Which is why I'm not getting a Nvidia card :p. I was looking into getting ATI's x800 card. I don't want to spend a lot, but I did find it on Newegg for $390.

My goal is to be able to play Half Life 2 on the highest possible settings (everything maxed out, 8x AA, 16x [can't spell it] thing)... with a good frame rate.

I read benchmarks and ATI maintained a nice 90FPS on HL2. So, here is what I was checking out:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-380&depa=0
Simply put, I don't want to spend $400. This is $390, which is the highest I will go.

If there is something better (x800!) let me know.

My goal is to get good fps (above my right now 60) with 8x AA, 16x [whatever lol], etc..

I know you are an ATI guy, but as an X800 Pro owner myself, I would strongly advise you get the 6800 GT, which is priced the same but much better. I am actually thinking about getting rid of my X800 Pro and getting a 6800 GT. If you are interested in why, check out this thread.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40898

If you are only wanting to play HL2, then you will be impressed with the X800 Pro. However, if you do decide to the the X800 Pro, don't expect much out of Doom 3 or games using its engine. The good thing about the 6800GT is it performs equally well in both Doom 3 and HL2.

*EDIT* If you want to go ATI that bad, it would be worth it to save a little longer and go with the X850XT P.E.

well I personally don't like the X800 pro because it only has 12 pipes, so I would recommend an XT instead. however you're not going to find one for under $400

I would recommend either getting a Pro and softmodding it to get 16 pipes, or to get a 6800 GT

The softmod is risky though. If it doesn't work, then you have a damaged card. There is nothing that would look worse on screen than if one of those 16 pipes was damaged...

o god please even if you are an ATI guy go with the 6800GT over the hunk of junk X800 pro please. i played throught HL2 at 1280x1024 4xAA 16xAF with frame rates almost never dipping below mid thirtys, most of the time in the 90's and 100's.

beedubaya said:
I know you are an ATI guy, but as an X800 Pro owner myself, I would strongly advise you get the 6800 GT, which is priced the same but much better. I am actually thinking about getting rid of my X800 Pro and getting a 6800 GT. If you are interested in why, check out this thread.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40898

If you are only wanting to play HL2, then you will be impressed with the X800 Pro. However, if you do decide to the the X800 Pro, don't expect much out of Doom 3 or games using its engine. The good thing about the 6800GT is it performs equally well in both Doom 3 and HL2.

*EDIT* If you want to go ATI that bad, it would be worth it to save a little longer and go with the X850XT P.E.

Weird, thats what I get with my ATI Radeon 9800 Lite on High settings >.<.. I think he has a major computer issue.

Yea, I downloaded Doom 3 from a friend. I only was giving it a try, I didn't even finish it. Matter of fact, I formatted. It's on my other harddrive still, but I'm going to delete it to save 1 gig of space. I'm not much of a gamer, and I play Battlefield1942, America's Army, Half Life 2, Farcry but that sucks anyhow. Thats it. I am getting Battlefield 2, though. And my motherboard doesn't have a PCI Express Slot :( (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe)

DyNaStY336 said:
o god please even if you are an ATI guy go with the 6800GT over the hunk of junk X800 pro please. i played throught HL2 at 1280x1024 4xAA 16xAF with frame rates almost never dipping below mid thirtys, most of the time in the 90's and 100's.

I average 80FPS on my ATI Radeon 9800, and I use OMEGA DRIVERS. I don't have AA on or 16 AF on. Also, on the CS:S source video test I average 98FPS and that's on my Radeon 9800 >.<

But see there is some kind of bug or something, and I see rainbows all over the textures. I finally fixed it, but my frame rate dropped.. I'm using a old version of Omega's Drivers. It'll stay like that because it's playable. Also, with ATI's drivers I get an amazing 8FPS on HL2 compared to Omega's 70-100ish. Heck, I've seen 200FPS :p

OK so basically you guys are saying X800 Pro is junk, but the x800 XT is a lot better? Is it a lot better then Nvidia's 6800GT? I can go with XT, it's not like I'm poor ;).. and taxes rock..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom