Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JizzyJesus

Solid State Member
I know most the tricks to networking. But recently I installed windows xp and now evey computer on my network can see me but can't go into my files. I've set every setting I knew of exactly like another xp computer on my network, still can't share.
If you know of any setting that could do this tell me, or maybe there is a fix? I realy don't want to format agian cause I got everything setup on this.

Also the error the other computers get is

//Computer not available
network path not found

did you run "set up home or office network" wizard in the "my network places? you probably have windows xp firewall turned on. go to your "network connection", and under " LAN or high speed internet" group there should be something called "local area connection" unless you renamed it. right click properties of local area connection and go to advanced tab and uncheck box to turn off winxp firewall.

XP's always been a bitch to communicate with computers of the non XP family. The idea that you have to do that stupid floppy is retarded.

my .02

from what I understand is XP Home is not network capable...you must use XP Pro. Dunno if this is your problem

thats not true. i have set up a home network on my cousin's desktop and laptop. their desktop used to have winxp home version and it worked on the network as easily as the winxp pro version did. as far as i know almost every windows operating system has supported networking.

and even norton ghost which must be run under native DOS (not windows DOS) allows you to save images through tcp/ip, so it very likely even DOS can be networked in that sense, although maybe not the very early versions of dos. OS/2, windows 3.x for workgroups, and windows 95, i have glanced at some of their features and read that those all can be networked too.

technically though the first networks were called sneakernet. people who ran early versions of dos swapped floppy disks from machine to machine presumeably while wearing sneakers. Bob from accounting needs those text documents? sure! just copy the file to a floppy disk and give him the disk. that sounds like i made that up but that is what it says in my network book in college.

ek...

you are probably right...maybe it was XP Home didnt allow you to login to a domain...but a friend in the business said to not get Home version if you are on a network

Home is fine for small networks. Home is not fine for business class network aps like VPN.

Do the floppy thing and see if that works for you.

actually lostman i am using windows millenium and have used windows 2000 pro in my home network, neither of which required me to use the xp floppy setup to get those machines running with the other windows xp machines.

i have no clue what the hell that floppy does, but you do not need it, i am certain of that. beside this seems to be another guy asking for help but doesn't check up on his own topic, it's so annoying :mad:

I saw somewhere in the threads that one of microsofts hotfixes that you download from microsoft update doesn't allow the network to see the other PC's in the network. I think it came from Microbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom