6800 GT OC Help and Cooling In General

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerhighlife_

In Runtime
Got the eVGA 6800 GT and was rdy to OC this bad boy with coolbits2. Stock speeds are 350/1000. Well I maxed around 370/1080 !? With these speeds my 3dmark05 score went up around 300. I have 6 case fans(all 80mm) and I have decent wire management. I thought I should be able to OC past this. All games play fine with these setting except HL2 sometimes gets the card to hot so I have to restore defaults. Difference in the fps from stock and OC isn't but around 4-5 better but that's ok I guess but the gpu core temp. hits around 61-63. Is that too hot ? I'm not real sure so I'm on stock speeds for now. I thought this crappy psu may not be delivering decent power. On the 12v I get around 11.85-12v(or so CoreCenter says) . It may be the crappy fans in this case though b/c I have the Winchester AMD with AS5 and as I'm typing this it is at 45C. I applied alittle more AS5 than said. I heard that spreads the distance between the HS and cpu thus raising temps. I'm planning in cleaning it off and reapplying the AS5. Eventually I gonna get some sort of watercooling system if I can't resolve this issue. I don't really need the OC to play all my games maxed but I like to know I can OC the card and cpu when the time arrives. I have kind of rambled on but I appreciate all your help guys.

60C for those cards I believe is normal. I think beedubs X800 gets to like 70-80C...these cards are awefully power so I'd just google something like '6800GT load temp' and see if you come across other forum posts of people and see what kind of temps they are getting.

People are getting load temps with 6800GT's around 70-75C and sometimes higher with no troubles. So why am I freezing up past 370/1.08 ? Should I try and increase the AGP voltage to the card ? I'm stumped. >.<

why cant people just leave their stuff at stock ? lol i mean Cpu I can understand( mines @ 3.4 currently ) but why graphics cards.. a 6600GT runs anything, and if its locking up, then either move to a cooler room or take off the side of ur case.. I was at a friends birthday lan and it was about 40 degrees outside ( celcius, like 120 F) and with like 6 computers in one room it was kinda hot, and everyones was lockin up a bit except my friends with the 68 ultra...
If u must overclock, then get better cooling in ur case and ur house

how are u checking your temps? are u sure those are your highest temps(61-63) at full load? that's very good for a stock 6800gt. get RivaTuner and use the temp monitor on it. if u are exiting a game and checking your cards monitor tabs for full load temp, its probally much higher in the game (3d mode).

It's probably how the card was made, it simply cant handle it. It's possible I guess it could be conflicting with other drivers, but I don't know, I believe eVga is a good company. Sorry bro, not sure what to tell ya.

my 6800GT is overclocked to 426/1150 and it never gets above 56c. the properties says the cards threshhold is 120c. so i dont think you have anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom