Desktop motherboard with Laptop CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

none67

Solid State Member
hey,
I'm building my first PC here (or trying to anyway) so please bare with me.

I bought an Asus P4S8X-X motherboard (533-FSB).. and I need a CPU still. I saw one that interests me, but I'm not sure that it will work (somthing tells me that it won't) it is a laptop CPU (P4, 533) I've heard that somtimes they will go together. I am woundering if the too will go together, thanks.

P.S its kind of a rushed thing so I would aperciate it if you knew to respond quickly.

thanks a lot.

THat's not always the case with Intels.

Sometimes just because Sockets match up, it doesn't necessarily mean they will work.

You'd have to check the CPU specs and mobo compatibility to make sure.

With AMD's the mobiles just gotta match the socket and it'll work.

There's always tech support :) Could e-mail ASUS and ask although I don't know how good of a response you'll get from them as I've never gotten a good one.

Or you could wait and see if somone who knows more about Intels can give you a better response.

thanks, I was trying to e-mail ASUS but they don't even have a place to ask for support about that kind of question.

If this helps these are the specs of the CPU:
Processor type
Intel Mobile Pentium 4

Part number
RK80532HE088512

Package type
478-pin FC-mPGA4

Processor speed (GHz)
3.20/1.60

Bus speed (MHz)

L2 cache size (KB)

Manufacturing technology (micron)

Core voltage (V)
1.550/1.200

Case temperature (°C)

Core stepping
D1

CPUID
0F29h

All my M/B info can be found here:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S8X-X&langs=09

Hmm, know for sure that you can't do such a thing with P-M's, but I wouldn't think there would be a problem with that since its still a P4:confused: Whats the difference between just getting a desktop version?:confused:

so is that a no?

sorry for the lack of knowledge, I'm a car guy.
I would just buy the desktop but the computer is a side project and i just got in an accident with my "other" car, so i'm short on cash.

Well, thanks anyway guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom