Anywhere I can find a 40mm cooling fan with only 2 pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyluli

Baseband Member
Need to replace the northbridge cooling fan. It is approximately 1 1/2" square (40mm x 40mm). I have found some fans this size, but they all have that damn 3 pin connector and I need a two pin connector so it will plug in to the motherboard. Anyone know where I can find one of these elussive fans?

Thanks.

???

I think the 2-pin standard is gone and replaced by the 3 pin standard, which has stepping ability.

Anyway, try searching Google. I found a couple that way just now.

Also, you can get 3-pin connector fans and just use a molex adapter to connect them to the PSU instead of the motherboard. If your motherboard flips out that there's no fan connected to the chipset socket, use a jumper to bridge the pins.

Thanks for the info. The jumper idea is a good one (wish I had some extra's laying around). I don't want to use a molex adapter because I am already using all of my psu connectors on peripherals and fans. I've been searching Google but not having much luck for 2 pin connectors, just the 3 pins. I'll keep hunting and hope I get lucky.

Thanks.

If you still have your old fan you could cut the wires off of it then buy a three pin fan cut the end off and put the end from the old fan on. Just match up the red and black and don't worry about the yellow because it is just a wire to tell the speed.

The old 2 pin connectors are worthless. I just installed a new NB cooler and it uses a standard 3pin, and you simply connect it to one of the 3pins on the motherboard.

You should have something similar to this:

CPUFAN
CHAFAN
Maybe one called NBFAN

Know what I mean vern?

Nubius said:
The old 2 pin connectors are worthless. I just installed a new NB cooler and it uses a standard 3pin, and you simply connect it to one of the 3pins on the motherboard.

You should have something similar to this:

CPUFAN
CHAFAN
Maybe one called NBFAN

Know what I mean vern?

Yep, the one I need to replace is the NBFan. Unfortunately only a two pin will fit on the motherboard as it has a plastic casing around the plug.
Stupid Stupid fans!!!

Wyluli said:
Thanks for the info. The jumper idea is a good one (wish I had some extra's laying around). I don't want to use a molex adapter because I am already using all of my psu connectors on peripherals and fans. I've been searching Google but not having much luck for 2 pin connectors, just the 3 pins. I'll keep hunting and hope I get lucky.

Thanks.
If you get the right kind of molex adapter, one that has a pass-through connector, you won't have to find a spare connector. Just chain the fan to a connecter with another fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom