External Hard Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

See Plus Plus

Baseband Member
I am thinking of buying an external hard drive for my laptop. I have noticed that most have an 8mb buffer while a few have 16mb. Is this something I should consider when purchasing the drive?

I was thinking Maxtor One-Touch 200 gb @ 7200 rpm w/8mb buffer?

I wouldn't worry to much about that. However, I have found that most of the HDs that I have looked at for my internal srives have 16MB buffer if they are above a certain volume size. For instance, I have a 300GB Maxtor HD that has 16 and I couldn't find one with 8. I really don't know much about it other than the fact that it stores the volume information.

i suggest making an external by buyin an external casing for it then puttin the hd in... a ton cheaper

I prefer external b/c I also have two other desktops in two different places that I want to share all the programs/documents with - so I figure this would be easier.

Is it difficult to change internal into external. If I do that, wouldn't it be much bigger than an external?

So really not much difference b/t 8mb and 16mb huh. :confused:

I would go with the 16mb if there is not too much of a price difference. It will be faster, although you may not notice too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom