wowexec.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxcpo

Solid State Member
I know wowexec.exe is a program for running 16 bit applications, but I have a couple of questions.

1. After watching the task manager a couple of times it appears that I can turn off the wowexec.exe process and it only returns if I open an internet explorer browser.

2. If it is not I.E. that is causing the wowexec.exe process to start up then is there an easy way to find out which 16 bit application is causing it to start up?

This is only happening on my wife's computer, I am not experiencing the same effect on my computer.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Get rid of it, you wont be running 16 bit programs most likely. I am guessing it is spyware

It's not spyware!

wowexec.exe is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. Leave it be. It's not hurting anything.

wowexec.exe is a part the operating system, and supports the use of 16-bit procseses.This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Thanks everyone, I had done a little research prior to posting and knew it definitely wasn't spyware. I am using McAfee anti-virus on my wife's computer (which is the only difference between my wife's computer and mine, I run Norton anti-virus on mine). So maybe it does have something to do with McAfee, but if I terminate the process it won't come back until I fire up an internet explorer browser which is what's causing the confusion on my part because i.e. is definitely not a 16 bit program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom