system overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
i just built a new computer and so far nothing but problems but i cant figure out what is cuasing it. these are the symtoms:

my motherboard (kt400 dragon ultra) wasn't detecting the memory stick so i pushed it down as hard as i could and the sytem ran ok. i definately had to use excessive force to push one side down. my system ran ok for a few hours and while doing nothing CPU intensive (installing some programs) the sysem suddenly shut down with a single continueous beep telling me that the cpu must have overheated. after my CPU overheated the system automatically shut down and when i rebooted this is when the memory seemed to have "wriggled" free. it seems to be either a bad fitting stick or bad memory.

the CPU i ordered was supposed to be XP2600+ but winxp system information, microsoft direct X 9, and even AMD's CPU information utility reported it as being XP2000+ at 1666mhz. it is either newegg.com sent me the wrong CPU or there is something extremely wrong with it. the strangest thing is that after a few hours the CPU overheated at 65 degrees celcius (which is about 140 or 145 degrees farenheit?). I do not have it overclocked and i wouldnt know how to do that anyways. i left everything default on the CMOS setup, actually i think i cleared the CMOS using the JP5 jumper set at pin 2+3 for 15 seconds trying to fix the memory problem. the CPU cooler seems to be running fine and yes their is thermal paste on the CPU die.

i am thinking ALL of the problems are being caused by the faulty memory, or the CPU, or maybe even the motherboard is the problem. I don't know what to do. I am sending an RMA request back to newegg.com, but what should i send back for replacements?

-update
I narrowed down the problem to the memory corsair XMS extreme series ddr400 PC3200c 256MB. i tried the memory module in another memory slot and still get problems. I matched the numbers on the CPU from the amd website and the chip is XP2600+, exactly what it should be. can bad memory cause the cpu speed to change?

XP2000+ at 1666mhz

yeah when i got my XP2500+ barton, on first boot it was clocked at 1100 mhz and the mem was slower too. but i just went into the BIOS and changed my fsb to 166 (DDR333) and it went back to the regular stock speed at 1830 mhz and NO temp change. don't think bad mem can cause cpu speed change just that bad mem can make loading stuff slower.

corsair XMS extreme series ddr400 PC3200c 256MB

have you already RMA'd that? go and get yourself 2 sticks of Crucial PC3200 DDR400 256 mb ram for $108 + free shipping. worked great...before my harddrive got messed up...

my CPU is overheating often now. i tried the meory in another computer and it runs. i think i got a bad motherboard. i went into cmos setup and changed the fsb to 166 and that fixed it but now it overheats faster and the system shuts down. i think maybe only the mobo is bad.

hope you didnt lose anything important on your hard disk

cpu cooler is seated properly with silver paste connected to cpufan1 connection on the mobo. when you said bad temp thermal sensor do you mean on the cpu or the motherboard? im not overclocking anything that im aware of. i havent changed any voltages for cpu. all parts in this computer are new, so no dust dirt. even before i changed cpu fsb to 166 it started to overheat at 65C. it takes about an hour to overheat. after fsb change to 166 takes about 10 mins for overheat. cpu die doesnt look cracked to me, i am always careful when installing cpu cooler. i still don't think the cpu is bad despite all of that. are you saying there is no way the cpu could be overheating from a bad motherboard? so i should RMA the mobo and cpu u think?

I always thought that was strange that ya had to go into the Bios and adjust the FSB speed for the CPU. Why can't it read the Processor specs properly?:confused:

kboy said:
I always thought that was strange that ya had to go into the Bios and adjust the FSB speed for the CPU. Why can't it read the Processor specs properly?:confused:

If it did, you wouldnt be able to over clock.... ;)

Hmmm. Your issues sounds more like your using an Asus board then a Soyo. lol

But I'd have to agree with my fellow posters. Sounds like your issues lies in your heatsink/processer. That's the great AMD trade off. They are less $ then P4's but they take more work to get them going.

What heatsink are you using? Did you buy an OEM cpu that came with that crappy AMD approved heatsink? that might be your issue right there. The heatsink/fan that they send with they're cpu's are crap.

I suggest dropping a few $'s on a Thermaltake Volcano or something along those lines. Better cooling. That and think about getting a copper shim that you place between the cpu and the heatsink. And make sure your paste is NON-CONDUCTIVE!!! There are bargain brands out there that, if not applied correctly, can cause some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom