Microsoft Office Problem (Tied to Norton Antivirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Beta member
For ALL of my microsoft office programs
(excel, word, powerpoint)
I can't OPEN files.
When I try it says
"The file <file name> is not available"

Other errors are..

When I close, it says:
"The file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace with the existing file?"
If I say no, as I have been, it takes me to save the "Normal" file under
C:/Documents and Settings/<user account>/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates

If I click cancel, then exist again I recieve this message:
"Changes have been made that effect the global template, Normal. Do you want to save those changes?"

If I say no, it exits the program.

oh, and as far as I got finding help (with the exiting not the opening thing) led me to Norton changes, and I can no longer USE norton since it screws up, and when I do the fix thing they say, it does nothing.

I don't have the error code for the norton thing that can be used on the symnatec site since after I reinstalled Norton it just won't open.

Oh, and I reinstalled office to. It didn't do a thing.

Since I can't open Word files, its kind've bad for my homework.
Any ideas?

If you desperatly need to open word files use open office at openoffice.org I actually prefer this program to office as well.

Ditch norton because it's terrible, AVG is better (imo) and it's free. I had norton before too.

And since office is screwed, try emptying out your templates. I also hope you are doing spyware and virus check

Could be a virus! I second the motion to ditch Norton. I could post 2 pages on how they have screwed up 10 people's PCs that I know of.

Sounds like a virus to me. Do a full system scan and clean up whatever is found, and then download AdAware , update it and run it and clean up whatever it finds, as well.

I've had Norton happily for years, but last week, one of its little updates toasted some stuff on one of my computers and cost me quite a lot....

I'll try out some new virus programs..

I have for spyware
Ad-Aware
Spybot: S&D
And
Spydoctor

I'll scan em again though.

Thanks for the help.
I'll tell you if it works, and I'll probably try openoffice aswell.
Does it include powerpoint etc? I don't need them often, but it would be nice to fix it anyways.l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom