RAM Upgrade Problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMPTX

Beta member
I just purchased two 512MB (PC2700 DDR333) RAM modules to upgrade my H-P a320n workstation. My computer originally had two 256MB modules in it, but is capable of holding 2GB.

I installed the new RAM, and the computer BIOS "recognizes" it as two separate 512MB modules....HOWEVER, the Win XP System Properties screen only recognizes a total of like 960MB!!.

Anyway, Windows XP boots up ok, but I'm having a lot of weird problems since doing this upgrade. For instance, Windows will crash every now and then, any DVD that I play will freeze up or crash completely, my audio card will occasionally go haywire, other programs don't respond as they used to, etc. None of this happened before the upgrade.

I DID sucessfully update the BIOS with a file from the H-P site, but the problems continue. I have also tweaked the virtual memory through XP, but maybe I didn't do something right there.

I also switched the RAM modules in the slots, but that didn't fix it. I find it odd that the BIOS recognizes it all, it "tests" ok within the BIOS, but that Win XP just won't recognize all 1GB (but most of it!) and I'm having all these other problems.

Any suggestions?????? Thanks!!

run memtest86 on it... I got new ram recently and my computer would just crash to the BSOD randomly... i ran the test and it turned out one of the sticks was bad.. so i tested each one individually and it turned out one of them was faulty.. I sent the stick back and am awaiting the replacement

www.memtest.org/ <----to download memtest86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom