SP2 Will not uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazer003

Beta member
I installed SP2 on XP Pro a few months back. It has been giving me fits with 2 of the main programs that I use, and I'm ready to go back to the way it was before. However, I go to add/remove programs and click Service Pack 2 and uninstall and it tells me that "Uninstall could not find the SPUNINST.INF file." I can't uninstall any of the ways Microsoft suggests. I haven't tried system recovery, but there is a lot of stuff that I don't want to lose if it goes back to how it was months ago. I tried reinstalling SP 2, but it said it was installed and that I didn't need it. Can anyone give me some help?

1. What "fits" exactly are you getting?

2. A service pack is a complete patch for the entire OS with fundamental changes. They're not easy to remove, not often removable at all, and leave messes behind if you succeed. Your best bet if you really want to remove it (for whatever reason) is to reinstall Windows and upgrade to SP1 if you can find an SP1 upgrade.

Warez Monster: Tried those, both of the first two give me that same message, and I was hoping there was a way to get that file I'm missing, but I suppose it's probably computer specific.

Snoobie Rat: My video editing program, Liquid Edition, will only capture for for a short time before saying there was a communication error with the camera. The tech support guys for Pinnacle said to simply remove SP 2, because it closes some communication ports that the camera needs, but I go to uninstall, and it says there's a file missing.

You should check the Microsoft website for documentation and find the needed ports. If SP2 closed the ports, just open them back up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom