925xe chipset and EM64T support

Status
Not open for further replies.

para[android]

Solid State Member
I think I have done all the research I need on this but I just want to confirm. From what I have read, the new 925xe chipset supports EM64T. Now, does this support mean a mobo with the 925 chipset will support next generation 64-bit chips from intel?

And before you say it, I know AMD already has support for 64-bit. I don't need the AMD soap box speeches.

I just want to know that if I get a system today with this chipset, a 64-bit upgrade in a couple of years should be as easy as just replacing the chip, and not the whole mobo.

I believe so, but the chips won't have the EM64T activated on them......dunno really about all that, but yes I think your correct:)

All current generation chipsets have support for EM64T and Intel's Dual Core (EM64T) 8xx processors and the mainstream Intel Pentium 4 6xx (EM64T) processors which are set to be unveiled in April.

So if the new series of p4 chips are 64-bit, I should just be able to swap out chips into the current mobo and full 64-bit compatability right?

I heard that it may be possible to enable the 64 bit by changing the BIOS. (Prescott cores 3.2 and up) I have no idea where you would get the BIOS from though.

I did read something about this, but found it hard to believe. I would think intel would advertise the fact that the chips are 64-bit compatible. Would be sweet though!

Prescott was designed from the ground up to be 64-Bit processor. In fact it has 64-Bit right now, but the instructions set is disabled. It was really profitable for Intel to do it this way since once XP-64 hits the market, Intel just does a small modification and changes the packaging and voilla, a 64-bIt proc. that didn't cost anything to make. Secondly, you have to understand that the 64-Bit are disable through the pacakaging. Same with a Sempron and an A64. Sempron is 64-Bit but the packagaing only allows for so much. One more thing, you can't switch on 64-Bit on a Prescott...through the bios...you need to change the packaging and that is left for intel to do.

So, are all current P4's prescott cores? (example p4 550 w/ht) And, are you saying there will NOT be a way to enable 64-bit in the future on these cards?

You can't enable 64-Bit on the Pentium 4 just magically right now. Even thought 5x0 processors are fully 64-Bit processors doesn't mean that the packaging will allow for it to function in 64-Bit. Secondly, you can't just go into the BIOS and say 64-Bit or 32-Bit. If Intel would allow for that, then don't you think they would've just marketed the 5x0 processors as 64-Bit instead of disabling their 64-Bit through the packaging and marketing them as 32-Bit. This goes for the Celeron D also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom