Pre-installed XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant take the PC back the warranty has ended.

I'm going to order a new Harddrive now. Seems like I should be able to re-install XP.

If not I'll reload my old windows 98 cd and buy an xp upgrade.

Wish I had the energy, the know how and the will power to get into Linux.

His problem is that the rescue cd is ON THE OLD HARD DRIVE that is dying!!!!If he doesn't get it off, how can he put it back on a NEW ONE! Even with the key???? Liz

westie said:
On the Operating System Disk it says:-

'Operating System'

then 'Already Installed On Your Computer'

underneath that 'Reinstallation CD'

I seem to have a product key on the side of my tower not sure if its the OS product key but I presume it is?
is the CD kinda brown in colour? the disk I got with the Dell Laptop was a brown disk, and this was just Dell's modified XP install disk

Ther's a nice program called Norton Ghost. If you can get a copy, you can "clone " your old drive onto your new one. Install the program, and create a boot disk with it. Install one drive as a master & the other one as a slave, boot, and follow the instructions. If it clones successfully, remove your old drive and install the new one as a master. Everything in Windows will look exactly the same as it was.

A word of caution: When you clone, make sure you choose the right source and the right destination or yiou will lose everything off your old drive.

Good Luck!

Yeah, the Dell Operating System disk is a brown colour.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes, but you would'nt have to reinstall all of your programs, internet settings, etc. What are 4-5 hours of your time worth?

With dell computers the reinstallation is no problem using the recovery disk as long as you have the same motherboard. When the mb dies then you are sol. I reinstall about once every 6 months. Hardware changes are no problem.

southernlady said:
His problem is that the rescue cd is ON THE OLD HARD DRIVE that is dying!!!!If he doesn't get it off, how can he put it back on a NEW ONE! Even with the key???? Liz
I think you're getting confused. A rescue cd cannot be on the hard drive. What may be on the old hard drive is a restoration partition, which is nothing to do with a cd.

Anyway, it sounds like he may have a CD which will enable him to reinstall on a new HD. If not, he should be able to contact Microsoft, since as they are so fond of saying, you don't buy the software itself, you buy a right to use the software. He should be able to get replacement CDs on this basis.

However, it'd be a lot easier to just grab a friend's CD if possible, and install from that and use the key on the case, as has been mentioned previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom